Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do you crop shapes?

Jan 29, 2013 7:47 AM

I was making a video the other day and I wanted to crop an image so it would fit into a thought bubble I had put on the screen. but I was only able to figure out how to crop top, left, right and bottom. I wasn't able to crop in shapes at all. How do you do this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2013 8:04 AM   in reply to DanielFilming

Crop Effect will be limited to a rectangle, with adjustments made to Top - Bottom - Right - Left.

To get a Shape, look into Track Matte Keying Effect, and create a Track Matte in the shape that is desired.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 8:46 AM   in reply to DanielFilming

To crop around an image, instead of using a track matte, you might be happier with a garbage matte. If it is extremely detailed you might want the 16 point garbage matte. The 8 point is usually enough for most things and the 4 point for simple shapes.

The titler has full bezier curve controls. I don't have time right now to do a great job, but this was done with the pen tool - I did not make any curves because I don't have the time but I could have made the curves follow my head in a very accurate and detailed shape.

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 11:25 AM   in reply to DanielFilming

Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 Tutorial – The Track Matte Key Effect

Click on the link above and watch the tutorial.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 3:19 PM   in reply to DanielFilming

How to draw shapes with a curve:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS86176DC4-85CA-4593- 8050-DACFEBCBA0B9a.html

When you draw your shape its a open bezier

when you are finished its a closed bezier

When you turn it into a shape to use as a matte for the track matte effect you change the Graphic Type to filled bezier and set the color to pure white.

If you need to animate the matte you place a garbage matte on a white solid instead of using the Titler. Unfortunately the garbage matte does not go beyond 16 points and no bezier handles.

You can feather a matte by adding a Fast/Gaussian Blur to the shape.

open bezier.png

closed bezier.png

filled bezier.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points