Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop/Premiere Elements 11 Freeze When Getting Media

Jan 29, 2013 9:25 AM

Tags: #organizer #bug #freezes #importing #elements_11 #getting_media

Hello Everyone,

Whenever I start Elements Organiser, there is an on-screen message that there are files ready to import and that the Organiser will now import these files into the Catalog. Then a "Getting Media" box displays and, at some point, say 56%, the "racing cursor" appears and the programme does nothing more. It just freezes and eventually there is a Windows message stating that the programme is not responding. This happens in Elements/Premiere 11. I reinstalled Elements 6 and the file importing works quickly and without problem in that version of Elements.

This is a new, custom-built PC, running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. 16 Gb memory. Adobe programmes were installed for 64-bit OS exactly as directed in Adobe instructions. All hardware drivers are up to date. No other problems with any other software, just Adobe's Elements 11 bundle !

Suggestions ? Solutions ? Other, older Adobe programmes work just fine. When will Adobe correct these programming bugs ? Will they ever ?

Thank you in advance for any helpful advice.

Sincerely,

Rafi C.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2013 10:17 AM   in reply to rafi9327

I guess it is trying to import files from some location which is not letting is import some particular files. Please check if the Watched folder service is turned on in this case. To know this, click File >> Watched Folder and uncheck/remove folder paths if you don't wish to watch them. Additionally, close Organizer and type services.exe on the Start >> Search textbox. Run services.exe and close/stop Adobe File Agent for V11. You can right click on this service and choose Stop or Disable whatever the function label is.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,848 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2013 12:04 PM   in reply to rafi9327

Hold down the shift key and launch the Organizer. In the catalog Manager dialog click the new button and create a new catalog e.g. MyCatalog2.

In preferences turn off auto-analysis and people recognition.

Turn off the watch folder under the File menu.

Then import all your images again or return to the catalog manager and convert your earlier catalog.

Hopefully that will improve performance to the level of PE6!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 9:34 PM   in reply to rafi9327

When you run services.exe, you should get a dialog like this-

watch.jpg

Are you getting it?

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 4:21 AM   in reply to rafi9327

Okay,

So is it like its trying to import files copied from a camera/card reader ??

I guess you can try 99jon's suggestion of creating a new catalog and turning off Watch Folder as welll as Camera/Card reader settings in preferences.

Also, as of deleting files, resetting preferences would be the first step.

Go to %appdata%\adobe\elements organizer\11.0\organizer and delete psa.prf and status.dat. Now relaunch Organizer and see if this makes a difference.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 10:50 PM   in reply to rafi9327

Hi,

Please don't worry for the files you deleting. They get regenerated upon next session of Organizer.

If Organizer is freezing right now, I would recommend turning off background prcesses for once. In Organizer, go to Edit >> Pref >> Media Analysis and untick all checkboxes. Again you don't stand to lose anything since the processes get started once the corresponding action is initiate from user interface. for e.g. if you want to run people recognition using Add People, the coresponding process will start in foreground...

If you are seeing freeze with "Updating..." dialog, please try turning off watch folder service as instructed in previous comments.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 8:13 PM   in reply to rafi9327

I'm having similar problem and its really annoying.  Spend so much time and money for a software that works only a couple time.  Everytime I add media to start APE11 it keeps on freezing.  Can anyone help me?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points