Skip navigation
Ravenant211
Currently Being Moderated

Any way to see dimensions of a texture from an MXP file?

Jan 29, 2013 9:46 AM

Hello all,

Running into a snag I hope someone can help me with. I'm using some textures that are in an MXP package for some recent designs. Now that the designs have reached the approval stage I need to send them off to the developer for slicing and coding of the actual site. The issue I'm having is that since the textures are part of an MXP extension, I need to get the exact dimensions to the pattern so I can tell the developer where to slice the background but can't find any way to get this information.

I know under normal circumstances you can go to your textures folder and just look at the dimensions in a file browser. Because this is an MXP file though the textures aren't installed into any directory (that I'm aware of or can find) and so I can't find a way to look at the texture file outside of Fireworks to determine dimensions. I even tried downloading a decent extension tool that might have hepled, but it only looks at textures in the texture directory, not unpacked MXP files.

Can anyone tell me how to get this information, or if there is a way to look into the MXP file and get the dimensions I need etc? I hate having to create an object and guess at getting the proper dimensions by trial and error all the time. One of these patterns in particular would be really hard to determine with that method because of how it's made. Any information would be greatly appreciated... maybe I'm just missing something obvious? The texture palette in native to Fireworks doesn't have any fnuctionality other than a crude list that I can tell. It's hard to believe that after all this time that software developed for use on the web wouldn't allow viewing of exact dimensions for a repeatable effect. I mean at some point it's a given it will have to be sliced for the web right?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2013 11:56 AM   in reply to Ravenant211

Are you using Fireworks CS6? If so, check your user library Application Support folder:

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fireworks CS6/Textures

If you're on Windows, the file path may be different, but there should be a corresponding folder. Previously, textures were found in the application's Configuration folder, but this changed in CS6. (You'll still find textures there, but not the complete, active set in use by the application.)

I've pondered the web slicing/background issue in relation to textures and patterns, too, but don't remember if I came to any conclusions.

(What happens if you export the document as HTML? Wouldn't it include a version of the texture graphic as part of the export?)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 11:41 AM   in reply to Ravenant211

Try Googling around for info on where to find the Textures folders on Windows. For example, this link applies to CS4, but it may still be relevant: http://www.fireworkszone.com/redirectionNbClicks.php?root=2&extension= 0&idTutorial=523

Do you still see the textures listed within the Textures menu of your Fireworks interface? If so, then they're in a folder on your hard drive. The only caveat would be if the textures were a component of a Style. Styles use textures and patterns, and "load" them temporarily into the Textures and Patterns menus, but they're not actually loaded into any folders on your hard drive, as they're encoded into the style itself.

Some developers will distribute their extensions in multiple formats for the convenience of users. If you're really hard-pressed, you could ask the developer if they would be willing to share the extension in a format other than MXP.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 12:22 AM   in reply to Ravenant211

Did you look in the locations described in the link (re: CS4)? Based on the file paths it describes for Styles, I'd expect to find Textures in two locations:

C:\Documents and Settings > [USER NAME] > Application Data > Adobe > Fireworks CS4 > Textures

C:\Program Files > Fireworks CS4 > First Run > Textures

My understanding of MXP files is they're basically just an archived or packaged file format—kind of like a zip file. And the Adobe Extension Manager is just a file installer. It provides a basic licensing agreement, installs the component files in the correct location, and helps keep track of updates to installed extensions. That's about it.

As I think about it, textures are usually overlaid onto color fills, so finding the original texture may not be the end of the story in terms of creating a tileable background graphic. (You may just want to slice your original Fireworks document to do this.) Regardless, it's good to know where you can find these textures on your system.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 12:45 PM   in reply to Ravenant211

Feel free to include a link to the posted Textures extension (that is, the URL of wherever you originally downloaded the extension).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points