Skip navigation
Elliott000
Currently Being Moderated

Im having a hard time getting AE to run even though I know it should

Jan 29, 2013 10:57 AM

Hey guys,  Ive been starting to try and get into using after effects. I have put lots of stuff together in premiere pro and want to add some effects but i can hardly get it to even playback the file in the preview window, won't even scrub through hardly.

Premiere pro cs6 runs smooth and renders out iin good time.

My system specs are:

specs.jpg

I have changed a few settings while playing around as per some pages I found on here about ram allocation and CPU stuff heres thos settings.

settings.jpg

Im kind of at a loss with what else to do... Any thought are appreciated, I have a ssd on the way but Im not sure It will make all that much of a difference

Thanks

Elliott

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2013 11:20 AM   in reply to Elliott000

"...i can hardly get it to even playback the file in the preview window, won't even scrub through hardly.  Premiere pro cs6 runs smooth and renders out iin good time."

I hope you don't expect AE to work like Premiere.  It doesn't. 

There's nothing wrong with your machine or with your software that's immediately apparent, either.

Premiere does one thing, AE does something else.  They don't work the same.  You don't use them the same way.  AE is a totally different application than Premiere, and just like Premiere, you have to begin at the beginning if you want to learn it.  People who try to use AE intuitively end up failing about 90% of the time.

So here's a good place to start.

I STRONGLY recommend you use it and you don't blow it off.  If you do, you're only hurting yourself.  Seriously. 

I don't care how good you think you are, you'll miss some important detail vital to using AE, and your work will come to a grinding halt.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 11:50 AM   in reply to Elliott000

Oh, there's a boatload to learn!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 2:30 PM   in reply to Elliott000

Elliott000 wrote:

But what better way to learn thean play around.

Well, in After Effects, there's more of a chance that you'll get frustrated if you don't have the basics down - basics like how to preview your composition. You are pressing spacebar and it's not working, so you're posting on the forum about it. Spacebar is pointless in AE (except for holding it to bring up the hand to move your comp around).

Once you get a good foundation, THEN you can start playing around usefully. The link Dave provided should start you off with that good foundation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 12:24 PM   in reply to Szalam

For information on RAM preview check out this FAQ.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 8:17 AM   in reply to Elliott000

Now you're talkin'!  Keep up with the Andrew Devis stuff and you'll start to refine your AE chops.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 9:02 AM   in reply to Elliott000

I think you're confusing fast draft for adaptive resolution.  Counld that be the case?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 10:33 AM   in reply to Elliott000

What do you mean by "start my comp with text first"? How you create your new comp shouldn't make a difference in the preview mode.

It could be something odd with your graphics card. What graphics card do you have? Also,what EXACT version number of AE are you using? (11.0.2?)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 10:38 AM   in reply to Elliott000

Okay, this isn't the biggest problem in the world but it is certainly annoying, I'll grant you that.  I'd start by trashing the AE Preferences.  Or should I say, "restoring the default perferences".

Here's the lowdown on AE preferences.

And here's the most germane bit of that, straight from Adobe:

"To restore default preference settings, hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS) while the application is starting. To also restore default keyboard shortcuts, Alt-click (Windows) or Option-click (Mac OS) the OK button."

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 11:07 AM   in reply to Elliott000

Sorry but that's a question that has so many answers that it's difficult to address it in the context of a thread on a forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 11:34 AM   in reply to Elliott000

I was just checking to make sure you had the latest version. Glad the preferences reset fixed you!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points