Skip navigation
d3wey.com
Currently Being Moderated

Automatic Caption Numbering

Jan 29, 2013 12:41 PM

Tags: #chapter_numbering; #figure_numbers; #auto_number; #bulleted_lists; #photo_captions; #image_caption;

Hi Guys

So this one is driving me a little crazy....

I have a 185 page book with 60 chapters. Each chapter is a document. As part of the books panel option and as part of the format of the book I have opted to start each chapter on an odd page leaving a blank page where required... all good.

Now while the title page of the chapter is on a right page, the adjacent blank left page of the previous chapter is to be used to place some images onto it... again no problem.

The issue comes with the image captions. I have created an automated list in the format that shows chapter first then image number second e.g Fig. 1.3. This works great for the most part across a single document but of course because the blank left page is in fact at the END of a chapter it picks up the chapter number from this document not the one that follows it.

My question therefore is can start a chapter on a specific page inside a document (as in not the first page but the last page). I know i can start a section on a specific page but I can't call the section number in the automated list can I??

Any help is of course greatly welcome. I'm sure someone must have had this issue!?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2013 12:47 PM   in reply to d3wey.com

Why not move the blank page to the START of the next chapter?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 1:32 PM   in reply to d3wey.com

FIrst off, moving the blank page from the last page of one chapter to the first page of the next chapter does not affect the number of pages or their order or numbering in a Book. The blank pages will carry the same even number they had before and your chapter start page will remain odd. Use the Move Pages command to move the last page to the start of thenext document and check the box to delete pages after moving.

Now what is this "start new chapter on odd page" command? That's a new one for me. I know you can add a keep option to a aparagraph style to start on the next odd page, but I don't know the start new chapter command.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 5:26 PM   in reply to d3wey.com

I continue to think that moving the occasional blank page is the way to go. I'd uncheck the add balnk page box, and do the additions manually (and I would start, as you have them now, by inserting at the ends of chapters that have an odd number of pages so that your spreads don't swap sides), then move the page, as I described above. You only need to do this for those chapters that require the blank page, and you may already have all the blanks you need.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 4:04 AM   in reply to d3wey.com

Have you considered a cross-reference from the previous chapter's last page to the first page of the new chapter, with a format that captures the chapter number? You'd have to insert it manually on each last page, and either override the master page text frame that contains the chapter number of the previous chapter, or use a based-on master page that substitutes a new text frame for the one that displays the previous chapter's chapter number. You need to do this once for each instance; the cross-reference will maintain itself unless the the chapter sequence is changed.

Search Google for terms like "InDesign using mastter pages," "InDesign based-on master," "InDesign using cross-references," without quotes for details.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 7:00 AM   in reply to d3wey.com

I haven't gone through the captioning part of the exercise (and I've never needed or wanted to use automatic numbering in a caption), but I'm quite confident that one moved from Chapter Two to Chapter Three a page no longer carries a section marker from the previous chapter. I suspect you need to replace the caption for those images that were already placed, or perhaps delete the image and caption entirely and place them again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 7:28 AM   in reply to d3wey.com

Another thing I would do is combine the 60 documents into 1 document. Life is so much simpler after that. At 185 pages, one InDesign document would be no problem, and all the other odd complexities would become a moot point.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 8:27 AM   in reply to d3wey.com

d3wey.com wrote:

All good points guys and thank you for your input.

Peter G - I'll take a look at the cross-reference idea but I have my suspicions that the chapters will end up changing as the person i'm doing this for is not entirely fixed on the final book content.

That's the value of x-refs. They update when something relevant changes. In this case, the chapter number that the left-hand page captures will update to whatever number the chapter becomes. However, if the two chapter files are separated in the book so they're no longer sequential, the left-hand page will remember the initial file and its chapter number; you'll have to re-point the cross-reference to the following chapter file, to capture its chapter number.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to d3wey.com

d3wey.com wrote:

All good points guys and thank you for your input.

Peter G - I'll take a look at the cross-reference idea but I have my suspicions that the chapters will end up changing as the person i'm doing this for is not entirely fixed on the final book content.

That's the value of x-refs. They update when something relevant changes. In this case, the chapter number that the left-hand page captures will update to whatever number the chapter becomes. However, if the two chapter files are separated in the book so they're no longer sequential, the left-hand page will remember the initial file and its chapter number; you'll have to re-point the cross-reference to the following chapter file, to capture its chapter number.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 11:19 AM   in reply to d3wey.com

I didn't mean autnumbering wasn't a good idea, just not something I've needed or wanted to do, so I haven't palyed with waht happens when you use it and pages move.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points