Skip navigation
PixelNovae
Currently Being Moderated

Why do TOC do not properly display levels,... even after I set them to?

Jan 29, 2013 2:20 PM

Tags: #indesign #toc_questions #indesign_cs6 #indesign_cs6_mac #toc_levels

All,

I am having a major hard time trying to get my TOCs to properly display levels. I have been doing research on the subject, but it seems any recommendations have proved futile.

The issue:

• My ID docs TOC's do not display levels at all
  • I have pretty much tried everything. I have gone to simple styles for Chapters and Sub Chapters to see what the issue would be

Image:

toc-hell.jpg

Some Findings

• One article I found which outlined ID having issues with inset text boxes
    • It seems setting an inset on text boxes with TOC content affects the display of such
    • I tried removing any insets but results still did not fix the issue i face

Questions

• What the hell am i doing wrong?
  • Is this a bug in ID CS6?
  • Is there anything I should not be doing when formatting a style that will be used on the TOC?
  • Are there any "NO NOS" I should be aware of here?
    • I mean, the above image is a test i built using a bare bones approach. The "Chapters" and "Sub Heads" styles are truly basic formats. The only attributes to these styles is a change in font style and size:
    • styles.jpg

Thank you to anyone who can help me on this.

---

PixelNovae

ID 6 (v8.0)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to PixelNovae

What were you expecting to happen?

Here's what the help files have to say about the level option:

Level
    By default, each item added to the Include Paragraph Styles box is set one level lower than the item immediately above it. You can change this hierarchy by specifying a new level number for the selected paragraph style. This option adjusts only the display in the dialog box. It has no effect on the final table of contents unless the list is alphabetized, in which case the entries are sorted by level.

Waht this means is that if you want to have different levels indent, for example, you need to add that to the paragraph style you apply.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 3:08 PM   in reply to PixelNovae

Judging from the screenshots, I would have expected Chapters A and B to be set at 20 points in the TOC. But they're not. Is there a character style applied? Because if you have a character style that specifies 12 point Minion on all of your body text, that character style will carry through TOC generation and still be applied to the content of your TOC.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 3:14 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

I don't see anything in the screen shots telling us what style is being applied to the Chapters listings. Basic paragraph is being applied to the subhead listings...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 3:20 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Yikes, that's a good point, Peter. Pixelnovae, what Peter points out here is that all entries marked Subhead in your body text are going to be displayed in your TOC in Basic Paragraph style:

Untitled.png

That may well be the missing piece for you. That's the dropdown that determines which paragraph style will affect the appearance of TOC entries.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 3:22 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

So if you want your subheads to be, say, indented in your TOC, you'd need to make a "Subheads TOC" style with that amount of indent.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 6:09 PM   in reply to PixelNovae

pixelnovae wrote:

Are the above assumptions wrong?

Yes, they are wrong.

If I am wrong, then are you guys saying I would need to create a TOC specific style denoting indentation for ever level?

That's exactly what you need to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 11:09 AM   in reply to PixelNovae

As it says in the help file quoted above, levels come into play if you sort the TOC alphabeticly, but otherwise are ignored.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 12:50 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Levels come into play, when you create a PDF with bookmarks based on that toc.

Levels come into play, when you create a tagged PDF which is the basis of accessible PDFs.

Levels come into play with ePubs.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points