• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Display TOC when calling WebHelp via URLS

Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Webhelp system created in Robohelp 9. I have provided context sensitive help, which the developers have decided to call using URLs.

Like this

server,com/path/file.htm

When the topic displays, it by default hide all Navigation panes, such as the Table of Contents. In its place is a "Show" link.

During UAT, the customer decided that they do not like this and want to see the full TOC.

I found http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/calling_webhelp/using_utls.htm

I have a Webhelp system created in Robohelp 9. I have provided context sensitive help, which the developers have decided to call using URLs.

Like this

server,com/path/file.htm

When the topic displays, it by default hide all Navigation panes, such as the Table of Contents. In its place is a "Show" link.

During UAT, the customer decided that they do not like this and want to see the full TOC.

I found

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/calling_webhelp/using_utls.htm

(thank you!)

Which suggests calling the help topic in this manner:

startpage#target

So I had

server.com/path/index.htm#path/target.htm

When I test this in the application, the help still displays with SHOW link rather than the Navigation panes.

If I click Show, then the link displays in using the #, so I know it has gotten the parameter, but it is just ignoring it on the Help click.

The customer is getting pretty antsy about this. Does anyone have another possible solution? It really seems to me that this should be possible.

IF there is absolutely no way to resolve this issue, is there any way for me to change the Show link to say "Show Table of Contents". Maybe it will appease them slightly.

Thank you so much for any advice you can provide.

--Amy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can definitely change the “Show” term – it’s done through the LNG tab – see http://iconlogic.blogs.com/weblog/2013/01/adobe-robohelp-10-ping-the-lng.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply!

So on the Language tab, just set Show = Show Table of Contents?

And just set for Project, and all single source layouts will use it? (Sorry for so many questions, I can't test until I get dev to deploy again, so I want to make sure I understand completely before checking in)

lng.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can call a topic with TOC using method on my site. If it is not working, you must have something wrong. I will look at thread in the morning.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.

For more background, when I paste the link into the browser to point to a local folder, it works fine. It is only from the application it is not working.

The application makes use of an xml file to link an application area to the help link that it is supposed to open.

My home page is titled index.html

An example of the help call in the XML file is

<helpLink link="index.htm#QcEAdmin/contracts/contracts.htm" applicationArea="contracts"/>

When the Help button is clicked on the Contracts screen, the following URL appears in my browser

servername.com/path/QcEAdmin/contracts/contracts.htm

The topic appears with the Show link... no Navigation panes.

When I click the Show link, I get this URL:

servername.com/path/index.htm#QcEAdmin/contracts/contracts.htm

If I manually add the index.htm# into the URL, it works.

the "path", above, has some logic coded into it to handle the brand and language. I don't know if that would impact anything because the relative path to my help topic remains the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the method works away from the app, then the problem is in the developer's call. That is beyond my ability to help.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's the spot - you can also change the mouse-over text too. I've got "Contents/Search/Index" subbing for "Show" and mouse-over text of "Show Table of Contents, Search & Index buttons" for one of my projects because in my SSL recipe I changed the default order of the buttons to promote Search over the index. To use it with other projects, you need to make a copy of the .lng file and save it outside of the project. Then when you create a new project, just copy it back in overtop of the existing .lng file. Just keep a list of what customizations you made because I found that when changing versions of RH, they (Adobe) sometimes change the internal structure and you will cause an error in your project when you sub in an older version copy of the .lng file (voice of experience here </laugh>). Then you will need to do those customizations again & save another copy out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 22, 2014 Oct 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

You mention that it is possible to change the mouse over text for the link. Can you tell me how to do that?

Also, is it possible to add an image to the Show link? I'd like to add an icon just to give some branding to the page.

Thanks!

Deborah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit > LNG File > Scroll down to WebHelp section > Look for Show Navigation component.

Sorry but there's no option to subsitute or add an image.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bummer.

Thanks for the speedy reply, Peter!

I'd still like to change the mouse over text for the Show link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what the first line of my reply covers.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, didn't get that...obviously!

Thanks, again,

Deborah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's an old problem that people don't read all the help.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ha! Actually, I read it, but thought that the second sentence was a comment on the content you directed me to in the first sentence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp