Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Display TOC when calling WebHelp via URLS

Jan 29, 2013 2:10 PM

I have a Webhelp system created in Robohelp 9. I have provided context sensitive help, which the developers have decided to call using URLs.

Like this

server,com/path/file.htm

When the topic displays, it by default hide all Navigation panes, such as the Table of Contents. In its place is a "Show" link.

During UAT, the customer decided that they do not like this and want to see the full TOC.

I found http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/calling_webhelp/using_utls.htm

I have a Webhelp system created in Robohelp 9. I have provided context sensitive help, which the developers have decided to call using URLs.

Like this

server,com/path/file.htm

When the topic displays, it by default hide all Navigation panes, such as the Table of Contents. In its place is a "Show" link.

During UAT, the customer decided that they do not like this and want to see the full TOC.

I found

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/calling_webhelp/using_utls.htm

(thank you!)

Which suggests calling the help topic in this manner:

startpage#target

So I had

server.com/path/index.htm#path/target.htm

When I test this in the application, the help still displays with SHOW link rather than the Navigation panes.

If I click Show, then the link displays in using the #, so I know it has gotten the parameter, but it is just ignoring it on the Help click.

The customer is getting pretty antsy about this. Does anyone have another possible solution? It really seems to me that this should be possible.

IF there is absolutely no way to resolve this issue, is there any way for me to change the Show link to say "Show Table of Contents". Maybe it will appease them slightly.

Thank you so much for any advice you can provide.

--Amy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2013 2:17 PM   in reply to AMCGracer

You can definitely change the “Show” term – it’s done through the LNG tab – see http://iconlogic.blogs.com/weblog/2013/01/adobe-robohelp-10-ping-the-l ng.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 2:50 PM   in reply to AMCGracer

You can call a topic with TOC using method on my site. If it is not working, you must have something wrong. I will look at thread in the morning.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 1:34 AM   in reply to AMCGracer

If the method works away from the app, then the problem is in the developer's call. That is beyond my ability to help.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 5:10 AM   in reply to AMCGracer

Yes, that's the spot - you can also change the mouse-over text too. I've got "Contents/Search/Index" subbing for "Show" and mouse-over text of "Show Table of Contents, Search & Index buttons" for one of my projects because in my SSL recipe I changed the default order of the buttons to promote Search over the index. To use it with other projects, you need to make a copy of the .lng file and save it outside of the project. Then when you create a new project, just copy it back in overtop of the existing .lng file. Just keep a list of what customizations you made because I found that when changing versions of RH, they (Adobe) sometimes change the internal structure and you will cause an error in your project when you sub in an older version copy of the .lng file (voice of experience here </laugh>). Then you will need to do those customizations again & save another copy out.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points