Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PSE 11 how to move files and create new files in the Folder part of Organizer?

Jan 29, 2013 3:08 PM

Tags: #importing_mov_files #organizer_11

as it does in Windows file hierarchy. also how can i create a new file/folder to put other files/folders into. example....move file named "red roses" into newly created file named "Flowers". There doesnt deem to be a drag n drop ability. TX sara

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2013 3:37 PM   in reply to 99bmw528i

Click the two yellow pins at the top of folders to expand the tree.

You can then drag and drop to folders.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2013 9:26 PM   in reply to 99bmw528i

Please click on the yellow icon next to My Folders label as shown. This would land you to folder tree view(by default you just see flat list of folders from where media has already been imported).

f1.JPG

The tree also, by default, shows only the folder in tree from where media is already imported in to Organizer. To see complete folder hierarchy under any parent folder, you can right click to the parent and select "Show all sub folders". Now you can right click any folder and click "New Folder". You can drag edia from grid to this folder.

f2.png

Hoep this helps!

~V

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 5:10 AM   in reply to 99bmw528i

99bmw528i wrote:

as it does in Windows file hierarchy. also how can i create a new file/folder to put other files/folders into. example....move file named "red roses" into newly created file named "Flowers". There doesnt deem to be a drag n drop ability. TX sara

Without knowing what else you are doing, let me ask ...

Is your method of organizing your work to use file names and folders?

Because if the answer is YES, there is little advantage to using the PSE Organizer, and a few drawbacks. If that's all you're going to do with the Organizer, you'd be better off to stop using the Organizer, and do these tasks in Windows, and only use the PSE Editor

Of course, if you are planning to do other things in the Organizer, then disregard the above.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 12:57 PM   in reply to 99bmw528i

Many people choose to organize via folder names and file names. The main drawbacks of doing this in Organizer are that you have first import the photos into the Organizer (extra steps); and then you can never perform these same organizing tasks in your operating system (Windows Explorer or Mac Finder); and your operating system is a much nicer and more familiar interface for doing this than the one in Organizer. And lastly, if you are using the Organizer to create a folder and file name organization, you cannot be "more organized" than if you were using your Operating System to organize. Now, I also point out that if you were to use the Organizer to create a file name and folder organization, there is still some benefit to the Organizer, such as albums and making creations (slideshows, photobooks, etc.).

Why would you use the Organizer to organize? The major benefit of the Organizer is that it gives you different tools to organize than your Operating System. These tools are tags, captions and notes. In my opinion, these tools are far superior to folder based organizing, they allow you to organize in more powerful ways than using your Operating system (I can explain further if you'd like). You use these tools to organize INSTEAD of file names and folders to organize. But if you're not going to use these tools, if the only organizing that you do is by folder and file name, you lose most of the benefit of using the Organizer.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points