I have the trial CS6 InDesign. Began printing my doc but when I got to page 81 I got an error: "Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem". Have NO issues in preflight check.It printed fine but suddenly stalled and have tried many things in cluding skipping pg 81 to no avail. Help, please! thanks, Paula
Just tried to export again and could not export: it started then quit.
I have one document it is 194 pages. Not sure if you mean the document as one file? Or if you mean each page as a file. Sorry to be ignorant but I'm a beginner with this program and want to be sure I understand your semantics.
so, one document contained all the pages saved together in one. I'd say that is one file. I was printing in batches because I wanted to watch the ink quality. Got through pg 80 and the trouble started right after that.
Bob means is the problem isolated to this one file, or does it happen with any file you try? It's sounding like there's something corrupt in the file though.
Try exporting the file to PDF in two pices by selecting page ranges in the export dialog. If one half fails, try dividing that in half and eport as two pieces, and so on until you isolate a page, then you can look at the objects on the page.
Ok, will try that as soon as the current try completes.
Don't know the difference between an interactive and a print PDF. I'm thinking since I want to print it must be the later whereas if I wanted to create a document for someone to fill in or change it would be an interactive.
If that is so, could that be the problem?
I need to leave shortly for an appointment so will be away from my desk for about 2 hours.
Thanks so much both of you, Bob and Peter. Am eager to get the problem solved!
Am about to go back to work on the InDesign doc.
But if you get an email titled 'hi' throw it away: I was hacked.
Password changed so should be ok here now.
So sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you!
Thank you so very much for your help. I have solved the problems. I did discover there were more errors. Using your method, I did find the offending page but then other pages emmerged. After the first fix, the other errors showed up in the lower left of the page so I could open the window for easy access to the pages. All the fault of a rank novice using the program but I have to wonder the following:
If the Pre-Flight check shows no errors, why are there still errors? Shouldn't the Pre-Flight find and report them all?
Well, on to the next waiting project and hopefully now that I know so much more I won't make so many mistakes! You and Bob were GREAT! Without you two and the Forum I would still be mired in my own unknown mistakes. Thank you so very much! If I ever see you at the InDesign User Group in Seattle will be sure to say hello.
Thank you for all your help, Bob. Everything is straightened out thanks to you and Peter! Without you I'd still be muddling around wondering what the problem was. If I ever see you at the Seattle InDesign User Group I'll be sure to thank you in person for helping this rank novice! Now on to the next project. Hopefully I learned enough (certainly learned a great deal) to avoid the same difficulties in future. You were just GREAT thank you very much for your assistance!
Preflight looks different sorts of errors -- colors you don't want to allow or overset text, for example -- rather than damage or possibly bad technique that ought to output under normal circumstances.
I'm glad you were able to find and fix your problems. It would be very helpful to others who read this thread in the future if you could tell us waht sorts of things you found. That might also give us an opportunity to help you find a way to avoid the smae issues in the future.