Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can no longer publish to facebook

Jan 30, 2013 3:07 AM

Tags: #facebook #publish #4.3

This has started happening about 2 weeks ago, I can no longer publish to facebook!

I get the "Photo upload failed, but no error string was returned from Facebook" and "Can’t update this collection. Photo upload failed, but no error string was returned from Facebook."

The plugin diagnostics report is as follows:

**** Error 1

This plug-in’s post-processing task did not finish successfully.

Photo upload failed, but no error string was returned from Facebook.

Now I have searched and searched for answers, which is normally it's a permission problem with facebook. Well it's on fb page, it's set to public and app has a permission of public.

I have removed the app from fb, removed authorisation from lightroom, deleted the prefs file, logged out of fb, tried to publish when all access to fb was logged out etc, etc and still no joy.

It doesn't matter if it's a new album, an existing album, my profile or a page!

This is now becoming a real pain as I use it alot. Has anybody got any other ideas?

Lightroom: 4.3

Mac OSX: 10.8.2

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 30, 2013 4:13 AM   in reply to macallf

Are you using Jeffrey Friedl's Facebook plugin? No?? - well then, that's the problem! .

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 6:53 AM   in reply to macallf

Try it. If it does *not* solve your problem, then I'll grovel for your forgiveness. As it stands, I truly believe the odds are that it will solve your problem. If it does, then you owe me a sincere apology.

Deal?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 7:14 AM   in reply to macallf

Look - I am only trying to help. I dunno if Jeffrey's plugin will help solve your problem or not. What I do know is that some people's problems have been solved by using it. I am not an MVP, Champ, Advocate, Defender, person who likes to give people a hard time... - none of that. Just a fellow user/forumer giving the best advice I've got. You have totally misunderstood me, and the whole nature of my reply. Just because I am being playful, does not mean I am patronizing. Just try his plugin and see if it helps - that's all I'm saying. I don't use facebook and I know nothing about your specific problem. Maybe somebody else will chime in with more specific experience. Until then - what have you got to lose? If you already know Jeffrey's plugin won't do ya, then just forget I mentioned it - I don't know what a "page" is.

PS - If a bug fix is required of Adobe's plugin, it could be months before they turn it around. Jeffrey could probably do it in days, if his plugin is compatible with what you are doing - again, if you've already been in contact and jf's don't do pages, whatever that is, then disregard...

Perhaps somebody else will stroll by with a magic bullet for ya... - hope I haven't wasted too much of your time, and sorry if this is causing aggravation..

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to macallf

macallf wrote:

Sorry Rob, but it seems that you have taken offence!

Yes - I most definitely have taken offense .

------------------------------------

If you issued a post with no intent other than to possibly help me with a problem I was having, and I responded with:

"Thats what I call a smartarse reply and has such is not helpful at all!"

wouldn't you take offense???

-----------------------------------

I most certainly do not appreciate your (wrong) accusations, and unappreciativeness at a fellow Lr user who is simply trying to help.

If it doesn't help, then so be it, but that's no reason to be offensive.

I don't know anything about the specifics of your problem.

You came on saying: "I'm having a problem with plugin A".

I happen to know there is a very nice plugin B which may not have the same problem.

You hadn't mentioned whether you were even aware of plugin B.

I suggested trying it.

That's all.

Other possible responses you could have had:

* Thanks, I wasn't aware of plugin B.

* I'm aware of plugin B but it won't work for me.

* I want to try and solve this problem without using plugin B.

* Thanks, but I want to wait and see whether somebody with more specific experience/advice comes along before switching horses in midstream.

Note: If you were having a problem, and were using Jeffrey Friedl's facebook plugin, I would have asked if you had the same problem using Adobe's.

Just because you haven't found my posts helpful, is no excuse for being rude!

Some people have been helped by the very same advice I've given you here. Certainly, such advice will not be of any help if you are not willing to try the other plugin and see if it behaves any differently.

PS - I do regret the wording of my original post, since I understand why it irked you. If I had it to do over again, I'd word it differently:

"I don't know if it will help or not (I have no specific knowlege of the problem you are talking about), but consider trying the other facebook plugin if you haven't already (you didn't actually say which plugin you were having the problem with) - sometimes a problem which presents in one, will not present in the other, or in any case may have a different error message and shed more light on it... Plus, if the other plugin is Jeffrey Friedl's, you might have better odds at getting useful information about it from him, in a timely fashion, and maybe even a prompt fix...".

Sometimes I forget how testy people can be in this forum, myself included. - I hadn't been bitten for a while and I guess I had my guard down...

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 1:50 PM   in reply to macallf

Hi macallf,

Whenever LR is suddenly stopping to do things which have worked well before: the usual suspect is the preferences file.

Make that invisible to LR by renaming it or deleting it while LR is closed, so a new one will be created upon next LR launch.

It may cure your phenomenon or may not.

I second Rob that I consider Jeffrey's diligence as a plugin-developer far more superior than Adobe's since LR4.x

Not having used that particular fb plugin of him (nor Adobe's native one), but quite a bunch of other plug-ins from Jeffrey I can state that he delivers on his promises in impeccable quality. Add to that his responsiveness to user inquiries and you have the role model of what Adobe ought to be.

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to macallf

macallf wrote:

So please, leave it at that, lets say I appreciate your response but it's not suitable for my problem!

Fair enough - good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 2:30 PM   in reply to Cornelia-I

Cornelia-I wrote:

Whenever LR is suddenly stopping to do things which have worked well before: the usual suspect is the preferences file.

Make that invisible to LR by renaming it or deleting it while LR is closed, so a new one will be created upon next LR launch.

It may cure your phenomenon or may not.

Indeed, if it was working before and suddenly stopped working, it begs the question: "what's changed".

It's either:

* server

* network

* client

Those are the only pieces in the puzzle.

* If client, preferences file could be a culprit (I think macallf established that jf's plugin is not compatible with his needs, and so using it to compare behavior for troubleshooting purposes is not an option).

* If network, it might be worth trying from a different computer to see if same problem

* if server, one might expect lots of people are having the problem regardless of which client/network they are using, and a bug report to facebook may be worth considering.

I wonder if macallf has raised this issue on facebook forum as well (he said he'd searched for answers but didn't say if he'd posted his specific problem for consideration).

Note: Although I have *no* specific knowledge of facebook, I do have *decades* of experience with computers/trouble-shooting, which may or may not be helpful in this case. If the OP is also very knowledgable about computers and skilled at trouble-shooting, I probably won't have much to add.

Note: so far *nobody* with any specific experience has posted. If somebody comes on saying: "oh yeah, I had that problem, and here's a link to the work-around/solution...", then this thread will be over.

I hope macallf appreciates you (Cornelia) trying to help, even if it turns out not to be of much help.

Cornelia-I wrote:

I second Rob that I consider Jeffrey's diligence as a plugin-developer far more superior than Adobe's since LR4.x

Not having used that particular fb plugin of him (nor Adobe's native one), but quite a bunch of other plug-ins from Jeffrey I can state that he delivers on his promises in impeccable quality. Add to that his responsiveness to user inquiries and you have the role model of what Adobe ought to be.

I certainly had no intent of knocking Adobe, or their plugins, but yeah: it's possible Jeffrey's plugin would not have some problems that Adobe's do (or in any case, present them differently). Of course the vice of that versa is also true.

If I understood macallf's previous reply correctly: the problem presents in all areas, not just pages, so maybe jf's could be tried, for trouble-shooting purposes, even if it can't replace Adobe's due to page feature issues or whatever.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 2:41 PM   in reply to macallf

macallf wrote:

As can be seen in my first post I actually deleted the prefs file (com.adobe.Lightroom4.plist) this did not change anything. But thanks for the reply.

I guess we both missed that.

Reminder: The purpose for trying jf's plugin, even if not an acceptable substitute for the long run, would be to compare behavior.

If jf's has same problem, it would be informative, and you may be able to raise the issue with Jeffrey, etc.

If jf's does not have the same problem, then that would be informative too, and suggest the issue should be raised more with Adobe. And if bug report is accompanied by info "jf's doesn't do that", it would be helpful to Adobe, validating your claim, so they take it more seriously, and maybe have a sooner response/fix...

PS - I noticed you are on Mac. Another trouble-shooting option is to try on Windows and see if same. I'm not suggesting a permanent switch to Windows - just a quick test for trouble-shooting/informational purposes.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 3:20 PM   in reply to macallf

Glad you're back in the saddle.

macallf wrote:

...what else could it have been?

Any number of things, but I agree: fb might have been the source of the problem, and maybe they just fixed it without a "news-worthy parade" to go with it...

You/we may never know...

Cheers,

Rob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points