Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to create a text effect like this (see example)

Jan 30, 2013 5:15 AM

Tags: #3d #shadow #outline

Hello everybody,

i would like to create a text, pretty similiar to this shirt: http://www.kuhvet.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/OKC-Conference-Champs -LR-T-shirt.jpg

So, the stext hould appear in 3D (kind of) and also should have a golden and silver outline. Also the shadow should drop in front of the text.

I hope that's possible and not that hard to create? I'm a beginner to Illustrator (CS4).

Thanks a lot for your help

Warm regards from Germany

Florian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 30, 2013 5:41 AM   in reply to CrazyAchmet

You need to set up some guides for this. See tutorials on isometric drawing here:

http://www.automotiveillustrations.com/tutorials/drawing-2-point-persp ective.html

Then construct the type.

Construction work will be easier using the perspective grid in Illustrator CS5 or later

The golden look can be accomplished with gradients.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 7:47 AM   in reply to CrazyAchmet

It's possible, of course, but as a beginner, you might not achieve a perfect result easily and quickly. You'll have to be patient and experiment with the tools enough to ascertain how they work, and then apply your discoveries to the design.

The 3D effect you want is called "extrude" and it can be found under Effects > 3D > Extrude and Bevel. To get a look similar to the example, you'll want to apply negative X-axis rotation and a high perspective value. Click the "more options" button to get shading controls.

The foreground-cast shadow is simply a copy of the text, flipped and distorted.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 8:06 AM   in reply to CrazyAchmet

I would not waste time using AI 3D tools to accomplish this effect. It is 1 point perspective. Start with your front text, establish a horizon  line and vanishing point, scale and duplicate the text using the vanishing point as your center of scaling, then connect the points to create the "extruded effect" between the to sets of text. You can outline the text to accomplish this.

For the reflected text, as John suggested, duplicate your text and distort it. Read about "Envelope Distortion" meshes. These will keep your distorted text fully editable, if that is a concern.

Have fun learning Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points