• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unable to resize anchored frame

Advisor ,
Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fascinating, really – the first time I've had to get to grips with FM files someone else has set up …

In my own files, since the dawn of recorded history, I've used a separate style for graphics; so when I want to place a [referenced] graphic, I'll add a paragraph using the :fig_column style, use File > Import > File to select the graphic, rescale the graphic if necessary and then esc, m, p to shrinkwrap the graphic. When I need to have two graphics in the same frame, I'll usually mouse to resize the frame, add the second graphic and adjust as above.

Now I want to replace a graphic in a file set up by a predecessor … and I'm stymied :-{  I've started by copying in my :fig_column style – so far, so good. I use File > Import > File to select the graphic, and the graphic shows up in the document. However: all attempts at rescaling the graphic take me to the properties dialog for the anchored frame, not the properties for the graphic.

What am I doing wrong? Tips and sympathy welcome! and if you need more information about the document set-up, just ask.

FM 10.0.2.419 on Windows 7, if that's relevant – the same version/platform and even PC where I've been merrily inserting graphics in my own documents since starting here in November.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the anchored frame selected, can you do a Select All in Frame?

...and then a Graphics > Properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, excellently devious! the selection handles skip to the graphic, menu-based options then work, and I can move the graphic around with Alt + arrow keys. Any attempt to use the mouse takes the focus back to the anchored frame. So, the immediate problem is solved and only the background curiosity remains.

fwiw, I now discover the graphic in question is an OLE paste … as I said, it's not a document I set up myself ;-} Steps Will Be Taken to replace this mutant with a clean, referenced .eps graphic

N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Steps Will Be Taken", and they were … but the anomalous behaviour of the frame persists. Here's what I did:

1. copied in my own :fig_column style
  2. File > Import > File to reference a clean new .eps
  3. right-click to start scaling graphic: context menu for frame shows up

Functions like changing the width of the frame are available via the properties dialog, but not by dragging. What's going on?

N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed that if the graphic is small, then selecting the graphic (at least in my mind) selects the anchored frame. My solution was to try clicking as much in the center of the graphic as possible, or magnify the display.

Van

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Van – yes, you're right about the difficulty of selecting small graphics; old-style 16 x 16 icons, f'r instance. As you say, sometimes I stare extra hard at the graphic before clicking, other times I up the zoom ;-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines