Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PSE 10 really slow on mac 10.8.2

Jan 30, 2013 12:15 PM

Tags: #mac #lag #10 #slow #freezes #pse #10.8.2

I've been using PSE 10 for a while on my OX S Mac. Processor 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo, Memory 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, software 10.8.2.

It was not slow before but know it freezes up so much that it becomes nearly inoperable. I checked my memory and I have plenty of space. I shut down all the other applications. I boosted up the amount of RAM PSE can use. I decreased the amount of undo states PSE can keep. But even with all that, it still was slow. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, and that didn't fix the problem either.

Is there anything I can do to get it back to the speed it was at?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 30, 2013 1:10 PM   in reply to adamhbrandt

First be sure that the auto analyzer (organizer preferences>media analysis) isn't running.

How much free space do you have on your hard drive?

EDIT How much did you up the ram in the preferences?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 1:48 PM   in reply to adamhbrandt

You can get to the organizer prefs from the bottom of the editor preferences:

Screen Shot 2013-01-30 at 4.46.58 PM.png

However, having said that, 2GB is a miserably small amount of ram to be running any recent version of OS X. I'd seriously think about adding more if you plan to keep this computer for any length of time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 8:58 PM   in reply to adamhbrandt

Go to your username>library>preferences and delete:

com.adobe.PhotoshopElements.plist

Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 paths

Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 settings

and any lockfiles with the same names.

That library is hidden in 10.8. To see it, option-click the Go menu in the finder. It will appear below the little house for your user account. While you're in there, go to the Saved Application States folder and delete everything for PSE.

Repair permissions and see if it's any better.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 12:07 PM   in reply to adamhbrandt

Well, 2 GB of ram is like nothing, as I said in my previous post. I had a 2.16 C2D with 4 GB of ram and I didn't like anything later than PSE 8 on it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 12:11 PM   in reply to adamhbrandt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 12:16 PM   in reply to 27Prac

If adamhbrandt had more ram, that might help, but in my experience, even with double the ram available, upping that slider is a mistake unless you have plenty of other ram left over for the rest of the system and other running programs. With 4 GB putting it up just made everything else unuseably slow, too. Of course that was in 10.6, but anecdotally 10.8 wants a lot more ram than 10.6 did, from what I hear.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points