Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

My workaround for 'lost' preview files in Premiere

Jan 30, 2013 12:00 PM

Tags: #cs6 #lost_preview_files

So you render preview files in Premiere and the next time you launch the program you're met with red bars in the sequence - indicating the need to re-render (even though those render files are still sitting on the hard drive right where Premiere last left them). While Adobe is purportedly aware of the issue, it's still pretty annoying.

I found a potential workaround which, so far, seems to work - at least for me.

Premiere seems to lose track of rendered preview files on the sequence that was displayed at the time the project was saved before exiting. When Premiere is re-launched, by default, it opens to the last displayed/saved sequence.  

So here's what to do, whether your project consists of a single sequence or several.

1) Create an empty sequence. Leave it empty. Rename it if you like ("Select me before saving and exiting") - or not.

2) Work in your other sequence(s). Render your previews as needed.

3) Before exiting Premiere (this is the important part) switch to the empty sequence and save the project. Then exit.

4) The next time you start Premiere: a) Select the project, b) Wait till all media is loaded (Premiere reports this at bottom). It will open to the empty sequence. When you switch to the work sequences, you should have green bars where the previews were previously rendered.

Try it and let me know if this works for you.

Preston

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 6, 2013 4:12 PM   in reply to Preston Herrick

I'm skeptical of that explanation, if only because opening to an empty sequence won't cause PP to load the media any faster.  The only thing that will do that is less media in the project.

And PP will still ask you for missing render files.  If you delete them with PP closed and then reopen the project you'll see this.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 6:05 PM   in reply to Preston Herrick

It avoids having to load preview files for that sequence the next time the project is launched

Ah, now I got you.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

In tried the empty sequence w/a and it failed for me.

I have a project ope with 8 sequences - all of which up until a week ago would be rendered and stay rendered when closing and opening the project.

In the last week I have not manually changed anything. I have though had several program and driver updates which I list below in the hope someone else may be able to match with and perhaps help Adobe to identify anything common..

Recent MS Updates History

1. Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2813170)

Installation date: ?10/?04/?2013 23:22

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

2. Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2799926)

Installation date: ?10/?04/?2013 23:22

Update type: Recommended

3. Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems (KB2817183)

Installation date: ?10/?04/?2013 23:28

4. Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2823324)

Installation date: ?10/?04/?2013 23:29

5. Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2808735)

Installation date: ?10/?04/?2013 23:30

6. Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - April 2013 (KB890830)

Installation date: ?10/?04/?2013 23:31

7. Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2813347)

Installation date: ?10/?04/?2013 23:32

8. Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.147.1685.0)

Installation date: ?12/?04/?2013 20:00

Other programme installs updates in April

1. PluralEyes by Red Giant - v3.2.0

2. NVIDIA Quadro 2000 driver update incorporating

a) NVIDIA 3D Vision driver 311.5

b) NVIDIA Graphics driver 311.5

c) NVIDIA 3D Vision Controller Driver 311.06

d) NVIDIA nView 140.49

d) NVIDIA HD Audio Driver 1.3.18.0

3. Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX 11.6.602.180

4. Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin  11.7.700.169

Is there anything here that can help anyone?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2013 5:11 PM   in reply to Preston Herrick

Did you ever look at the events that built up to the error happening? Did it just start happening for no reason? Had you updated something or installed new software at the time the problem was first noticed? I'd be really keen to get to resolve the issue properly if it can be identified what has happened. The workaround is nice to have for those it works for, sadly for me - following the instructions given have not brought temporary resolution but I thank you for posting it.

I read that Adobe are aware and working on it - but I do feel the more info we users give them no matter how ridiculous it might seem to us - the better Adobe are equipped to find the problem.

Forgive me for asking - but what made you experiment with an empty sequence and procedure to find a resolution, I admire your attitude toward finding the workaround.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2013 5:27 PM   in reply to ScubaBadger

I just opened the last project I worked on which had shown rendered maintenance issues (a 583GB folder with many projects and sequences). I closed the empty sequence and saved the project and closed PP.

I then went to the master folder and examined the preview folders. There were several extra folders marked "~ recovery" - which on inspection proved to be empty.

I deleted all the folders that were empty - irrespective of name.

I then navigated back to the master project file and opened it.

PP is taking around 40 seconds to load all files - during which time I can see in the task bar it is reading the original files - and then reading rendered files and after about 50 seconds the loading is finished and within a couple of seconds of that the timeline goes green and all my sequences have regained their resepctive renders.

I have done this 4 or 5 times now - since deleting the "~ recovery" folders that were empty - and that is all I did.

May be worth trying..?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 11:01 AM   in reply to Preston Herrick

Hopefully, Adobe will get to grips with it and an update will come through the cloud. Since wiping the error folders I've not had recurrence - but that could also be coincidental.

|
    Mark as:
  • Alex DeJesus
    489 posts
    Jul 25, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 9, 2013 12:39 PM   in reply to ScubaBadger

I had the same problem. Just tried the 'empty sequence' solution. It didn't work. It even asked me for the render file it couldn't find. I navigated to the 3 GB render file. Project still opened with a red line.

It could be a bug. But, the effect I used was from Magic Bullet Looks, which always seems to cripple my system. Sometimes Premiere will have fits (red line) when working with a rendered Dynamically linked AE comp. CS6 seemed to improve that a bit, but not all the way.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 12:17 PM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

I'm using magic bullet looks as well and have been having the same problem. I'm on a mac pro with the latest update of looks installed (2.1.0) and premiere cs6. I tried the empty sequence without luck just now. I will try re-rendering, but that will be a 40 minute wait... again. Ugh.

Its a hard thing to test, because with smaller clips and projects with less rendering I don't have the problem.

I thought about putting magic bullet in the new adjustment layer, but then you don't get a preview image in looksbuilder, which makes thafeature less uesful than I had hoped.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 4:13 AM   in reply to Preston Herrick

Thanks Preston. This little trick is saving my life on a project. CC won't be foisted on me, though. I'm returning to FCPX as it's up to speed for the work I do and absolutely does not have all these sloppy problems that Premiere has with Macs. With CC constantly  pushing out updates to its already bloated software, we can only expect more of the same. Thanks again.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 10:31 PM   in reply to Preston Herrick

Ran into this issue.  In my case, I had done a SAVE AS of the project to a new subdirectory with a new project name. (Archaic attempt at version control. Heh.) Premiere created a Preview Files subdirectory within there, and it was properly saving any new render files to it.  However, it wasn't loading them the next time I launched the project.  I noticed it was still looking for and successfully loading previews I'd done prior to the SAVE AS from the parent directory where the original project was.  I did a SAVE AS back to the parent directory, and now they're saving and loading fine. 

I did try the solution in the first post here several times, and I also tried copying my newer preview files to the parent directory.  Neither worked.  I also checked in preferences, and they were already set to save in the newly created subdirectory.  If there was some other place I needed to link these, I couldn't find it nor Google it.  I'm pretty sure I've saved a project to a new directory and been just fine in the past, but maybe I'm wrong.

FWIW, if anyone stumbling across this thread has saved your project outside its original directory.  Put it back and see what happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 7:09 AM   in reply to thefuzie

I have the same problem. It is totally stupid, how can Premiere have such a MAJOR bug? I cannot re-render a complex 30-minute edit each time I am re-opening the project.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 7:43 AM   in reply to carlborromao

I still have issues with this as well. Does anyone know if it has been fixed in CC version?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 7:44 AM   in reply to jefbak

There are a couple users reporting the issue with CC as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Update: I've made the move to back to FCPX and could not be more pleased. Much, much faster editing. Thanks to Adobe's poorly implemented "cleaning" software and uninformed, and often rude, tech support, It was technical nightmare extracting myself from CC and returning to CS5/6 (for photoshop, Indesign, etc) but well worth it to escape from the giant of incompetence and greed that Adobe has become. There are so many other viable options. No need to suffer with Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 8:14 AM   in reply to radrave

I am running out of patience, too. These are not minor bugs. This is a total nightmare. Think about it: loosing all your render files upon project closure!!!! Again and again.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to jefbak

I am not experiencing this on windows 7 suite with PP CC.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 12:25 PM   in reply to ScubaBadger

Me neither.  In fact, most don't.  It's a very difficult situation to track down.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 5:31 PM   in reply to radrave

I am also trying fcpx but it has its own set of issues that drive me crazy (though I do like the magnet editing approach).

For me it is extensive use of red giant looks in projects that this happens with. Every clip needs rendering and the preview files are usually gone when certain projects are opened. And once it starts happening on a project it starts to happen every time.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 12:28 PM   in reply to ScubaBadger

So did they ever come out with a fix for this? Or do I really have to load my render files this ridiculous way. No offense to Preston, who found a pretty decent workaround. Adobe shouldn't release a product with such a crucial bug. Can someone let me know if there is a new way to get your render files to load or if there is a bug fix for this?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2013 2:15 AM   in reply to sNoahG

Same issue here. In fact, I've lost preview files I have just rendered by switching sequences and returning to the sequence I just rendered.

I will try the empty sequence trick tonight. Very surprised that this issue is still around.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2013 2:54 AM   in reply to Nddirector

And the little empty sequence trick doesn't work for me.. Sporatic preview files are still lost.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2013 8:59 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I have CS6. Mine worked fine until I bought new hard drives and rebuilt the computer (with the same drive letters). I tried all the suggestions and so far some of the render files (not all) will not load when opening the file agin. I checked, and they are on the render drive. I don't have 3rd party and I am using the warp stablizer.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2013 11:19 AM   in reply to Preston Herrick

I have the same issue on Premiere CC, Win7 - previews are lost many times. There is a Premiere CC class on FXPHD and the teacher presents this bug to the audience as a "well known bug" - so I see that there are probably thousands of users who must live with this stupid problem for a long time. Shame on Adobe. Please fix it finally.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2013 1:28 PM   in reply to Milan Michalik

Ironically I spent a good deal of time and money on new larger Raptor hard drives to make Premiere run faster and to make room for more preview drives. Now I have wasted many hours re-rendering the same file trying to solve this problem ...which didn’t exist before I went through his expensive intensive exercise. And I now see that this probelm has existed for years for soem people yet Adobe will not fix it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2013 4:28 PM   in reply to Brit.b

I may have found a solution. I took out the warp stabilizer, and then added it back in on the clips in question, and then re-analysed and re-rendered. So far, so good. It seems that bringing in the warp stabilizer effect in the file into the re-built computer needed re-analysing (as I do after this 2 day exercise.)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)