Skip navigation
Jennifer Genovese
Currently Being Moderated

Can't open Raw files after transferring CS5 to my new computer

Jan 30, 2013 12:44 PM

I just transferred cs5 to my new imac computer using my time machine backup. I now get a "photoshop does not recognize this file type" when I try to open a raw file from photoshop. When I try to open my raw files through bridge I get the message "you do not have permission to open the document. I have checked my permission preferences and have reading and writing permissions and updated to 6.7 ACR. I dont know what to do next?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 30, 2013 12:49 PM   in reply to Jennifer Genovese

honestly, that probably wasn't the best way to re-install your system and applications to a new machine. I imagine you're going to be encountering a lot more issues in the near future. Your best bet is to un-authorize and un-install cs5 and then re-install from the disks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 4:56 PM   in reply to Jennifer Genovese

Jennifer Genovese wrote:

I purchased the digital download instead of a disk and read that you can only reinstall it 3 times and this would make 3 for me.

Where did you read about a 3 installation limit on downloads? There's no such limit that I'm aware of. You can re-install as as often as you wish.

Got a link to the note about 3 installations?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 5:01 PM   in reply to Jennifer Genovese

Jennifer Genovese wrote:

I purchased the digital download instead of a disk and read that you can only reinstall it 3 times and this would make 3 for me.

Like other said there is no limit.  But do youself a favor and burn the download file to DVD, record the pertant info and store in safe place.  In case you have to install in future you will then have the disks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 12:37 PM   in reply to Jennifer Genovese

I think "un-authorizing" was probably meant as Deactivate (in Help file).

Jennifer Genovese wrote:

What do you mean by un-authorizing? I did a little reading on this and it said your previous version becomes unauthorized once you launch the new version. Is this correct?

No, all versions are seperate programs (CS4,CS5, CS6). 

Most camera raw problems are one of two things - file in wrong folder, or more than one file in the folder.  In PS Help/about plugin/camera raw what does it say?

Assuming you are on Windows machine the default folder is program files.  THere are other files in various places on the C: drive.

If you think you really have things fouled up you can uninstall, run Adobe Script Cleaner, and reinstall.  The script cleaner gets rid of bits and pieces the uninstall process misses.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 2:28 PM   in reply to Jennifer Genovese

I never did figure out what 5.1 was.  Was that the subscription version?  I have CS5 and CS6.  The Mac file locations are unknown to me as I am a Windows guy.  So the download you got was it 5.1 or 5?  Believe they are seperate versions as I never had 5.1.

In a Mac believe the camera raw is in About Photoshop and camera raw.  Again not sure of file locations.

If you are at all interested in keeping up with Adobe I would suggest you update to CS6.  Since they have abolished the 3 versions back policy if you do not upgrade to cS7 and wait until CS7 comes out you will have to pay fulll price, ouch!  If you want to say with 5 forever then best to get this version fixed.  You are correct Adobe help will probably not help as you do not have CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 7:13 PM   in reply to Curt Y

What is the difference between Photoshop CS5 and the version of Photoshop that comes with Creative Suite 5.5? http://phtshp.us/5_5_Faq

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points