Skip navigation
sdinfo
Currently Being Moderated

Artboard is larger than requested size, which shows up as a box within the too-big artboard.

Jan 30, 2013 1:24 PM

When I create a new file in AI CS 6, the artboard is larger than requested size, which shows up as a box within the too-big artboard. For example, when I create a new file, I set the artboard size menu to 1200 pixels wide by 750 pixels high, but the artboard created is about 6,000 pixels high and wide, with a black outline of the 1200 x 750 artboard that I tried to create. See attached screenshot. The actual artboard is much larger than the white area; I just cropped most of it in my photo software to show it here. What setting in the preferences or other menus fixes this problem? I didn't have it until today, so something got set incorrectly somewhere. I usually just see the 1200 x 750 white artboard against the dark background. It also seems to be happening now when I simply open an existing file. The artboard has suddenly increased to an enormous size.AI-CS-6-Artboard-Too-Large.gif

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 30, 2013 3:42 PM   in reply to sdinfo

What units of measurement are you using?

Pixels are not units of measurement (a pixel is just a square of colour and can be any size, although Illie incorrectly assumes that the width of a pixel is 1 Pica point).

Set your artboard size in inches, points, centimeters, millimeters, whatever you like but not pixels.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 5:40 PM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

There are two basic document set ups. web and print. Web documents use the full artboard/pasteboard and simply create guides for the area you indicated.

If you want an artboard to match your desired size and are creating files for screen/web, choose "Basic RGB" for the document when creating a new document.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 9:25 AM   in reply to sdinfo

No.. use the "Basic RGB" document profile.....

Snap_001.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 2:40 PM   in reply to sdinfo

Color modes aside for a moment, I suspect the large white area around your artboard is in fact the pasteboard, white in color because you've somehow lost or inadvertently mis-set your User Interface darkness setting.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 3:28 PM   in reply to John Mensinger

Depends on what you are used to, John. I've got mine all the way to the right (Light).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 4:22 PM   in reply to sdinfo

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers