Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5->CS6 upgrade hangs, locks windows task manager, does nothing else

Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got the CS6 Design Standard Upgrade, hoping to upgrade from CS5 Design Premium. Could that be the problem? I don't need everything in Premium and this stuff is ridiculously expensive.

Anyway, I put the disk in, nothing happens. I run set-up.exe, the disk spins up, then nothing continues to happen. I've watched it for up to 5 minutes and nothing.

Set-up.exe is not in Applications, but it is in Processes in windows task manager. However, there is no actual activity at all. When I try to end the process, WTM locks up. I have to either hard reboot or eject the disk in order to recover.

What gives? I can post PDApp.log if need be, but I don't know how much help it'll be.

W7 Pro 64bit

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Feb 01, 2013 Feb 01, 2013

So it turns out it was the drive. I installed an internal SATA DVD drive and it ran the update flawlessly. Just in case anybody else stumbles across this post with a similar issue, make sure you're not trying to install the update from an external USB DVD drive, specifically a Samsung SE-S084. It won't work.

Thanks for the help fellas!

J

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the PDApp.log file contain any specific error messages?  You may want to review Troubleshoot with install logs | CS5, CS5.5, CS6 - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/troubleshoot-install-logs-cs5-cs5.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 31, 2013 Jan 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I don't really *know* if there are any helpful errors listed because the only way to get the update to stop is to eject the disk, which I'm sure puts errors in there. For example, here are the last 5 lines from the log, from the last time I tried to upgrade:

1/30/2013 15:55:40 [INFO] Setup - TimeLog: Start initial checks

1/30/2013 15:55:40 [INFO] Setup - Dictionary Path: K:\Adobe CS6\resources\Dictionary\en_US\stringTable.zdct

1/30/2013 15:57:54 [FATAL] Setup - Setup.xml does not exist.

1/30/2013 15:57:54 [FATAL] Setup - Unable to initialize. File missing.

1/30/2013 15:58:02 [INFO] Setup - =================  End Adobe Setup. Exit code: 0  =================

Everything above that is just [INFO]. K: is my optical drive, and I'm guessing 15:57:54 is when I ejected the disk.

Those are the only errors I really see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some security tool is blocking your stuff. Check around. Run as admin, turn off your virus scanner, turn off UAC.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turned off all I could think of, including UAC, ran as admin. Same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it turns out it was the drive. I installed an internal SATA DVD drive and it ran the update flawlessly. Just in case anybody else stumbles across this post with a similar issue, make sure you're not trying to install the update from an external USB DVD drive, specifically a Samsung SE-S084. It won't work.

Thanks for the help fellas!

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent thank you for the update j.makela9999.  I am curious if you copy the update from the Samsung drive do you receive a disk error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jeff

Looks like it copies fine, whether or not it would function I hesitate to test because I've run it already.

What a simple solution... I never think of the simple solutions. If I had to guess, I bet it would work fine running from where I copied it to.

I really did need an internal DVD drive though, this external has been wonky since day 1. So thanks for waiting a day to post!

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines