Skip navigation
crw1381
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot copy and paste text into Photoshop CS6

Jan 30, 2013 4:20 PM

Tags: #clipboard #imac #photoshop_issues

I am not able to copy and paste text from non-Adobe programs (like Keynote or Word) into Photoshop CS6. I get an error message reading "Could not complete the Paste Text command because the clipboard data is empty or invalid." I have tried shutting down Photoshop, shutting down other programs, re-starting my computer, adjusting my Preferences and asking Adobe for help by phone and chat. I am on a new iMac and have no third party plug-ins installed. Can anyone help?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 30, 2013 6:10 PM   in reply to crw1381

I have never tried to do this before but fired up Word and was able to paste text in. Since the button is not greyed out in PS (you get an error message rather than the inability to click paste button), and given the error message, it seems more like a clipboard problem than a PS problem. So, can you paste from Adobe programs into Photoshop? And can you paste no problem outside of Photoshop? Wish I could be more immediately helpful but I think you really have to make sure that this is a Photoshop problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 6:10 PM   in reply to crw1381

Did you reset the preferences?  Start PS and hold down cmd option and shift keys.  You will get a reset window.

Can you copy and paste from Word to other programs?

Are all the operations on the same internal drive?

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Jun 27, 2013 12:59 PM   in reply to crw1381

crw1381,

Did you figure out what the problem was?  At work we use openoffice for docs sent to us by the copywritter.  I used to be able to copy and paste from openoffice and also from word docs straight into photoshop and indesign.  We just downloaded the new Creative Cloud Suite and now i get this same error only SOMETIMES when I try to copy something from openoffice (.doc) files into both InDesign CC and Photoshop CC...  Note that it's only sometimes, not all the times.  I wonder what the problem might be.  Please let me know if you figure it out.

The error states:

"Could not complete the Paste Text command because the clipboard data is empty or invalid."

Thank you.

MW

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2014 7:53 AM   in reply to mwolowicz

Photoshop for some reason sometimes does not like the formatting of the text in the clipboard. Paste the copy into Text Edit or something similar and convert it to Plain Text. Copy that into the clipboard and it should paste fine into Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points