Skip navigation
doctor_r
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator's weak right-click menu...

Jan 30, 2013 4:02 PM

Tags: #illustrator #right-click

Why is the right-click menu on Illustrator so weak? Other Adobe products seem to have a plethora of menu items when you right click on a selected object... I can't count the number of times I've right clicked in Illustrator to copy something only to rediscover that not even "cut" "copy" or "paste" are available. Why is this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 30, 2013 4:23 PM   in reply to doctor_r

Why right click when you can make your own keyboard shortcuts?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 5:35 PM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

Because right-click to bring up a menu is:

• Much faster and easier than keyboard shortcuts
    • Reduces cognitive load by having a consistent way to display what can be done with what you are right-clicking on
    • Would be more consistent with some other CS products

Even when there are right-click menus available in similar places in CS products (such as the layers in Photoshop and InDesign), the menus are not the same.  Not even close, really.  This inconsistency with right-click menus matches the inconsistency with just about every other UI/UX aspect across the CS.  And that is inexcusable.  When working across multiple applications, these inconsistencies create a persistent cognitive load on the user, due to the need to keep in mind which application they are in and how to perform the same functions in this application as the other applications.  It is greatly complicated when one spends days or weeks working mostly in one application, then days or weeks working mostly in another application, and then switching back to the original one.  It is like learning it all over again.

This prevents apps in the CS from every becoming natural and second-nature, where tasks are performed without concious thought on how to use the UI to accomplish them.  If a person was only ever in one application, this is not an issue. But it is sold and marketed as a suite, and even has "suite" in the name.  But the UI, UX, and workflows reflect the reality: it is a collection of individual applications that just happen to be sold as a package.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 7:43 PM   in reply to doctor_r

Why is the right-click menu on Illustrator so weak?

great question, without a good answer from us users...I think it'll be awesome if we could fully customize and/or create our own menus, context menus and toolbars...but that's too much to ask for.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 10:01 PM   in reply to doctor_r

Considering how *many* features they improved or introduced with CS6 upgrade, I don't even bother hoping. They really should make CS7 be worth it or I'm definitely not going to buy it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points