Skip navigation
Hallowed Knight
Currently Being Moderated

Exported movie file size is too damn high!

Jan 30, 2013 8:04 PM

I want to do a very simple thing. I Simply want take a video clip...trim it...and export it. Simple, right? WRONG. The resultant file is always at least twice the size of the original, despite the fact that it's shorter. It should be smaller, if anything. Why does Premiere insist on balloning the file size? This is my procedure:

1. Open new project. Select random settings because honestly it's all jibberish to me.

2. Delete the first sequence

3. Drag in the movie file

4. Create a new sequence from that file to copy the file's settings

5. Trim video

6. Export using "match sequence settings"

7. The file is  enormous

Why? I don't get it. I made a sequence from the vid file...so it should use the same settings as the vid, right? Then I export using the settings from the sequence, so again...should be the same as the file...and yet the final version is always huge. Is there something I'm missing? And if you answer...do so in detail. I'm a Premiere noob, as you can plainly see, so don't be glib.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 30, 2013 8:21 PM   in reply to Hallowed Knight

I can't help directly, because I don't use your work process... but there is a tutorial list in message #3 http://forums.adobe.com/message/2276578 that might help

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 8:44 PM   in reply to Hallowed Knight

And if you answer...do so in detail. I'm a Premiere noob, as you can plainly see, so don't be glib.

a "please" would be nice. 

Meaning of Glib for anyone prepared to help this guy.

1a: marked by ease and informality : nonchalant   b: showing little forethought or preparation : offhand <glib answers>   c: lacking depth and substance : superficial <glib solutions to knotty problems>

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 10:55 PM   in reply to Hallowed Knight

Why? I don't get it.

Well...often times if someone doesn't get something, it's because they lack data.

In your case, it would seem to be the entire subject of video production you're lacking.

I personally recommend a formal education before attempting the work, but there are ways of getting that basic education online as well.

This forum isn't one of them, however.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 11:59 PM   in reply to Hallowed Knight

Why? That is simple to answer.

The simple answer is that "match sequence settings" does not mean export using the exact same codec. You'll get the right frame size, but not the same codec.

The complicated answer is that it depends on your source video. If you were editing DV AVI from a MiniDV camera, it would export that out as the exact same codec. However, if you were using HDV or any number of video sources that used other compression and decompression (CODEC) methods then you really need to get past the concept of "jibberish"

Learn about the video you are shooting. Or, tell us what it is. Which camera and what settings. Then we might be able to suggest what the project settings should be. Then tell us what you want to do with the exported video. Do you want to edit it again or put it on YouTuibe, or what? Chances are very good that you don't want to use that setting, so it becomes a moot point.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 4:50 AM   in reply to Hallowed Knight

Hallowed Knight,

Personal attacks and profanity are not permitted in this forum.  That's two strikes against you.  If you do it again, you will be banned at least temporarily.  You have been warned.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 6:10 AM   in reply to Hallowed Knight

HallowedKnight,

One thing to remember, even with the same CODEC (or another of your choosing), the Bit-Rate for the Export will determine the resultant file size. Obviously, finding the right CODEC for the intended delivery scheme is a first step, but then the Bit-Rate becomes the determining factor.

Some CODEC's will produce acceptable to good results, at lower Bit-Rates, than will others. Some times, it just takes experimentation, and a lot of critical viewing, to get what you consider to be the best results.

Quality vs file size is a balancing act, a bit art, a bit science, and then some luck thrown in. There is no universal "best answer," as one's footage can determine what is acceptable, as can their desired delivery scheme.

Good luck, and glad that you have found a workflow that now works for you. Keep in mind that if your footage changes drastically, say a wedding one day, but action sports the next, you might need to alter things to accommodate.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 6:35 AM   in reply to Hallowed Knight

Well, there is no automagical way, that's true. But believe me it is easier in CS6 than it has ever been.

Back when YouTube first started, and way before it ever allowed HD video, we spent a lot of time and energy trying to figure out how to get even halfway decent video on to YouTube. One of my better experiments has been viewed in excess of 459,000 times (over 5 years).

Now, all you have to do is select H.264 and use the YouTube preset for the size and frame rate you want. No fuss, no muss.

There are programs that make it easier for sure. However, Premiere Pro has advantages in other areas. So it comes down to a decision as to what you want. A lot of people start with Premiere Elements and then move to Premiere Pro. A lot just stay with Premiere Elements. And while I hate to say this on an Adobe forum, for a lot of people, especially now that shooting video is just so darn easy, using the free Windows Movie Maker is sufficient for their needs.

If you are so inclined to give Premiere Pro a chance, I think you might find that it is a powerful tool that provides many different ways to accomplish each task. And if you give the forum regulars a chance, I think we can help you achieve your goals. If you tell us step by step what you did we can generally help. What normally happens is that we answer questions with a "Read this FAQ" or "Watch this tutorial". The reason for that is that we have answered the same question many times and finally wrote it down somewhere.

In this particular case, you hit a nerve with your first point and people reacted differently than they normally would. If the first question had been by itself in a post, the answer might have looked like this:

FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840#4200840

FAQ: What are the best export settings?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3804596#3804596

FAQ: How do I learn Premiere Pro?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3804423#3804423

FAQ: How do I export a movie for YouTube, Vimeo, iPad, iPhone, or Apple TV?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3804383#3804383

I just looked through the FAQ list and did not see the answer to how to set up a new project, but I am sure that there are tutorials out there. I will take a look and see what I can find. If there isn't one, I will create one and post it to my web site at http://www.stevengotz.com (under construction, so not as complete as it was before).

If you would prefer to strike up a private conversation, feel free to send me an email from my web site. The first thing I think we need to do is figure out what footage you are using and what you want to accomplish with it. I think I can put you on the right track pretty quickly. You may have already achieved a good result, but I might be able to help you tweak it just a bit to get the best output you can get.

I can also point you to hours and hours of really great tutorials. Some very good free ones, and some great ones that allow you to subscribe monthly.

Your choice. I basically have three hobbies. The first is helping people, the second and third are Video and Photography (although Photography is a recent development).

Steven

http://www.stevengotz.com

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

a FAQ on sequence setting http://forums.adobe.com/message/3804341

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)