Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

problem printing InDesign (CS4) with MAC OS 10.8.2

Jan 31, 2013 4:56 AM

I have just upgraded to OS 10.8.2 on my Mac and use Creative Suite CS4. I can no longer print from Illustrator or InDesign, when I go to the print command the applications crash before the dialoge box appears. I am still able to print Photoshop files.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2013 5:38 AM   in reply to AppleiMac24

Upgraded from what?

Adobe apps frequently don't respond well to an in-place OS upgrade, and especially don't do well with migration. You may need to reinstall.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 5:59 AM   in reply to AppleiMac24

And you still can't print from ID or Illy?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 6:12 AM   in reply to AppleiMac24

OK.

Bob will tell you to reinstall the OS clean and then reinstall the apps (and I think he's right) but there are others who disagree. Lets start by looking t the crash report. We might get lucky and it's actually something simple.

Post the report on Pastebin.com and put a link here.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 5:48 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Bob will tell you to reinstall the OS clean and then reinstall the apps (and I think he's right) but there are others who disagree.

He most certainly will and I don't care who disagrees. Upgrading an O/S especially two versions is nothing but a crapshoot and to do it on a mission critical machine is IMO, foolish. Posts like this continue to pop up and I continue to scratch my head trying to figure out why people continue to fix that which is not broken.

BTW, CS4, AFAIK was not tested on Mountain Lion which probably makes things even worse. Futher, CS4 cannot be upgraded to CS6 so Creative Cloud would be the most financially viable option. Details here http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html

Free one month trial is available to see if it's right for you.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 6:46 AM   in reply to AppleiMac24

Please do not post crash reports here. As Peter noted they should be posted on pastebin.com

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 7:07 AM   in reply to AppleiMac24

It might help if you posted the InDesign crash report but honestly, my

guess is you're going to waste a lot of time here on this.

First thing I'd do is back up all data and then do a clean install of

Mountain Lion. You can do it with a USB thumb drive and it takes about

15 minutes or so. Instructions here: http://liondiskmaker.com/

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 2:48 PM   in reply to AppleiMac24

I had a similar problem of crashing on print with CS4 Adobe Illustrator (I hadn't tried InDesign):

I could create and save files in AI CS4, but upon selecting "print" it would crash.

I did previously have Adobe Acrobat 8, which I uninstalled and upgraded to Pro.

I also upgraded to Mountain Lion 10.8.2.

I also had CS3 Dreamweaver, which I cleanly uninstalled thinking that was the problem (anybody know if I can reinstall it with no problems?).

I did not have the stomache to do a clean install of my OS, besides, am I really going to do a clean install of every update to my system because Adobe can't unistall their programs completely when updating to a new version?

I found this page and gave it a try:

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/crash-printing-illustrator-in design-cs3.html

I removed the five printer directories it said to remove.

And alas, it works!!!   Good luck!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points