Skip navigation
gardener179
Currently Being Moderated

Question re Accessing catalogues and files from an external hard drive in Elements 6.

Jan 31, 2013 8:53 AM

Having just acquired an ehd, I have successfully carried out a trial back up of an Elements 6 2000 picture catalogue from an XP based PC, using the Elements 6 full back-up process. This process is intended to be used eventually to transfer this and other catalogues onto a new Windows 8 PC installed with Elements 11.

However, in the interim I would also like to be able to access the picture files and the catalogue data on the ehd from a Vista based laptop which also has Elements 6 installed. Can you please advise how to do this without carrying out a full restore process that would load all of the files onto my laptop's hard drive.

In transferring the picture files to the ehd I also seem to have lost the original file structure that was on my PC, as folders have been renamed numerically and are all held individually in the main folder of the ehd. Whilst this doesn't matter too much whilst the files remain on the ehd, provided the catalogue still knows where to find them, has the original file structure been permanently lost, or can I recreate it when I eventually restore the files and catalogue on the new Windows 8 PC?

I'm anxious to get this process right as I have a much larger catalogue to similarly back-up and transfer, once I have acquired the new PC, and was hoping to be able to similarly access this catalogue by my laptop from the ehd as there is insufficent hard disk space on my laptop to hold all the 20,000 files involved.

Please help

Gardener 179

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2013 9:14 AM   in reply to gardener179

However, in the interim I would also like to be able to access the picture files and the catalogue data on the ehd from a Vista based laptop which also has Elements 6 installed. Can you please advise how to do this without carrying out a full restore process that would load all of the files onto my laptop's hard drive.

When you do the restore, you tell PSE to restore to a new location, that location being on the EHD

In transferring the picture files to the ehd I also seem to have lost the original file structure that was on my PC, as folders have been renamed numerically and are all held individually in the main folder of the ehd.

Actually, you haven't lost this file structure. When you do the restore, the folder structure will be returned to as it was.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 4:10 AM   in reply to gardener179

I think you should read this Adobe paper:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/backup-restore-move-catal og-photoshop.html

gardener179 wrote:

1) The original catalogue name was not used in the restoration process. The restored catalogue on the laptop has simply been named "Pictures". Is this normal and if I now rename the restored catalogue will this create problems with any subsequent supplementary backups of the catalogue?

That is normal and you can rename the catalog from the 'catalog manager' option in the file menu of the Organizer.

2) In restoring the catalogue I heeded the Adobe Help and specified the Vista folder C:\Users\Maurice\Pictures as the location for the picture files rather than simply restoring the original XP folder structure. However, since I also wanted to retain the lower level folder structure of my XP files (which are basically date files) I then specified to "Retain the Original Folder Structure". This has resulted in the full XP folder structure being created within \Pictures on the laptop.

Is it possible to avoid this situation occurring, or will I have to remove the unwanted XP sub-folder structure from the laptop and reconnect the thumbnails in the Photoshop catalogue to the new file locations? Also if I have to move files in this way will I once again have problems with any subsequent restorations of the same catalogue?

The original file structure is the full path stored for each picture file. That means that when you restore to a different OS version, the structure won't be translated to the new 'pictures' location of the new OS (see above link). That's not a big problem. When in the 'Folders' view in the Organizer, you can drag and drop a whole folder and its subfolders to a new location to 'shortcut' the unwanted and unused subfolder levels. (Be patient...)

Finally could you confirm what would have happened to the folder structure on the EHD had I carried out the Restore process by locating the picture files on the EHD but retaining their original file structure. Would the picture files have been copied into their original file structure for use by the restored catalogue and the duplicate backup files left unaltered, or would the backup picture files have been replaced by the restored file structure?

I don't understand your point. If you restore the files on the ehd or any other drive than the original one, the pictures will be restored with the original structure (if your pictures are scattered over several drives, each one will be restored in a new folder under the master folder you chose for the whole restore). The catalog will be also moved to the new drive. That's what enables using the catalog on the ehd by several computers with PSE. You can move the catalog to the default location for all users on your C: drive if you want. That is also done in the 'move' option of the catalog manager.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 11:20 AM   in reply to gardener179

Let's describe the PSE backup.

When you do a backup, you create a master folder somewhere. The backup is not a simple copy, it contains everything which is necessary for the PSE 'restore' process which will restore both your pictures files and your catalog where you choose. The contents of that master folder cannot be used otherwise than with a full PSE restore somewhere else ; generally on another drive, but it could be on another master folder on the same drive (not recommended by Adobe, and probably too slow).

So, if you have a lot of space on your external drive, it's not impossible to store both the backup and the restore on the EHD. If they are in distinct master folders, they will be independent. It's not ideal for the safety of the backup : just suppose the EHD fails...

On the other hand, the catalog itself is a folder containing the database and its accessory files and caches. You can find its location through the help/system info menu of the Organizer. You can move the catalog (the folder) elsewhere through the catalog manager. A catalog can live in your main computer or in your EHD. If you have done a full restore on your EHD, you can use your catalog and pictures from your main computer or from your laptop where you have the same version of PSE. Having the catalog on the EHD makes sharing possible, but it's slower than having the catalog in the computer.

So, it's quite possible to have your 'master' pictures and catalog on your desktop and a backup and a restored version on the EHD with its own restored catalog. From your desktop you can use either the desktop or the EHD version. The problem is how to synchronize everything : creating a new backup and restore  would be a too long process.

A variant of the process could be to store the catalog and catalog on the EHD, and store the backup on the desktop... At least, backup and restored versions would be on two different drives. Not as good as having a separate EHD for backups, and storing it safely away from the desktop (risks of theft, fire...) or using web storage since your catalog is not huge.

I always stress the advantage of a full backup from PSE when you have to update computer, drive, OS or PSE version.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points