Skip navigation
doug_k_
Currently Being Moderated

Using Bridge with a team

Jan 31, 2013 2:17 PM

Tags: #metadata #bridge_cs6 #synchronizing_catalog

Hi,

I work in a post facility.  All of our assets live on a centralized server.  We do a lot of videos with still images of celebrities and have been looking to nail down a solid way of cataloguing and searching our images.  I'm trying to find if Bridge is the right solution for a team.  Our folder structure looks like this  Stock Images > People > Clooney > wenn12345.jpg , wenn12346.jpg etc, etc

For a single user, Bridge seems like a fine tool to add metadata and search but I'm running into problems trying to make it work for 8 to 10 editing stations.  Specifically, the problem is this: 

When one editor adds metadata to a picture or video file, it's not immediately searchable on another editing station.

To further explain the process -

Editor1 adds keywords to picture1 on editsuite1 through Bridge

Editor1 can then search and find picture1 with no problems.

Editor2 then opens Bridge and searches for picture1 on editsuite2 via newly added keyword and produces no results.

in order to search and find picture1 with the new keyword,  Editor2 has to track down picture1 through the FOLDER finder in Bridge - once he opens the Clooney folder, Bridge sees the file and its new keyword and finally, Editor2 can search for picture1

I've tried setting the cache on both editsuites to the same folder on the server in hopes they would share the same catalogue.

Is there any way to synch Bridge's cache so when one change is made on one editsuite, it's instantly seen on another editsuite?

Working on  OS X10.8.2.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2013 2:34 PM   in reply to doug_k_

Bridge will work on a network, but it takes a lot of effort as it is really not made for that purpose.  You probably want to investigate a DAM such as Canto Cumulus.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2013 2:41 PM   in reply to doug_k_

For a single user, Bridge seems like a fine tool to add metadata and search but I'm running into problems trying to make it work for 8 to 10 editing stations.  Specifically, the problem is this:

That is a very correct observation, Bridge can be a real powerful application but as you state yourself, it is developed for one user and also does not officially supports working over a network.

What you need is a dedicated DAM application, possible customized to your specific needs. This is not really cheap like Bridge that comes for free with an Adobe Suite application but for production and reliability reasons I really believe this a the best option for such a situation.

Try look at Canto Cumulus, I have the single user version but that also does not support a network, the full Canto Cumulus does.

Check this out:

http://www.canto.com/en/products/getting-started/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points