Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bad image quality in chm - RH10

Jan 31, 2013 1:48 PM

Hi,

I've been capturing screenshots and saving them as .png for both PDF and chm output. Images in PDF look good,  but the quality in chm looks really bad, most are blurry and you can't even see the texts inside the images. Any suggestions on how to improve the images in chm?

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2013 2:24 PM   in reply to tanborj

Hi there

Sounds like you are possibly inserting the images then scaling them down to fit specific dimensions? If so, that's your issue. The browser does an awful job of scaling. You will be much better off by doing a couple of things.

1. Do as much as you can to properly size the image as small as you can before you even capture.

2. Use a dedicated image manipulation application to rescale the image and save it at the smaller size.

SnagIt

Paint Shop Pro

PhotoShop

Etc.

Cheers... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 11:02 AM   in reply to tanborj

Hi there

Sounds like you need to use two versions of the images. Then apply Conditional Build Tags to them. One for Print and One for online. Actually, those are the exact two tags RoboHelp creates for you by default.

Then when you create a PDF, you exclude the images tagged with Online. When you create the online, exclude the images tagged with Print.

Cheers... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 7:21 AM   in reply to tanborj

Hi,

Personally, I would recommend using gifs. Make sure you create your gifs from a good a starting point as possible. What we do here is capture using paintshop pro at high quality, then save as gif. We've found this works well in web, pdf, chm and web help formats..

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 10:57 AM   in reply to Author care

Out of curiosity, why the preference for GIF?

Myself, I like PNG format...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points