Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Need help adding a page to an existing website

Feb 1, 2013 1:10 PM

Hey guys....I'm, as the subject states, a newbie to Dreamweaver.  I am needing to add a page to an existing website.  Simple enough...or so it seems...anyway, I went to the site, copied the source coding, went back to Dreamweaver, pasted into the code box, and up pops the page I copied.  Great!  So then I make my changes so that the page states what I want it to say, link it to what I need to hyperlink it to, then try to upload the page back onto the server....and here's where I get lost...I go to the web to check the site, and the page that I copied and made my own is not there.  The link didn't work and the page is nowhere to be found.  I don't mind whatsoever telling any of the what the site is (not sure if I can do that here), but any help would be very grateful!!!  I'm not sure what I am doing wrong obviously.  Many, many thanks in advance for any help you can give me! 

Jim

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2013 12:37 AM   in reply to jbelcher24

Hi Jim,

here some links to forum's posts:

---------- del, unnecessary post, as it seems. ----------

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 5:48 AM   in reply to jbelcher24

Jim, you wrote that you "[tried] to upload the page back to the server." Are you sure the file transfer completed properly? And are you sure you uploaded the revised file to the right directory on the server and that all the file paths are correct? And, presuming both answers are yes, did you refresh your browser? Maybe the cache is still displaying the over version despite the new one being in residence.

Just a couple of thoughts worth checking.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 9:50 AM   in reply to jbelcher24

At the moment the link you refer to goes to the file ashby.php

http://www.superiorcareplus.com/ashby.php?s=1

Do you have a page named ashby.php in your site folder?

If you do copy that and make the changes you require. Save it as whisperer.php

Now you need to change the link from ashby.php to whisperer.php

<div class="leftMenu"><a class="menuLeft" href="ashby.php?s=1">Becoming an Alzheimer's Whisperer</a></div>

So it looks like this:

<div class="leftMenu"><a class="menuLeft" href="whisperer.php">Becoming an Alzheimer's Whisperer</a></div>

I'm not sure if it will work because the link has a variable (?s=1) after it but as the links all go to different pages the information probably isn't being fetched from a database. In other words all the pages appear to exist as individual pages. I don't know what 's' the variable refers to.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 1:53 PM   in reply to jbelcher24

Jim, what I meant was to make sure that when you uploaded the new version of the file that the new file went into the proper folder, usually the root directory. If your root directory is in a folder on your host servce that is labeled "www" for example, that is where the file should be put. If the folder is labeled "htp_docs," that is where it goes. Etc. Sometimes, when I am using Dreamweaver's FTP connection to manage files by dragging and dropping between the local folder on my computer and the root directory on the host server, I have accidentally upload the new file into one of the sub-folders, like "Images" or "Scripts," when I was aiming for the root directory. I just thought perhaps that may have happened in your case.

How you can tell is to log onto your server via Dreamweaver's FTP and compare the files stored on the server with those in the local folder on your computer. Note that the time stamps may differ between the two because you may be in a different time zone than your server.

I think Osgood covered your other question. You mainly just need to check that all of the links are to the right files in the right place.

Chris

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points