Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Using soundtracks

Feb 1, 2013 12:54 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 1, 2013 12:54 AM   in reply to Community Help

Using Prem. Elements 11, I go to Smart Sound to add music to my video. Select the music track. Select to add to my video but I am then sent to Sonicfire Website. Please advise if I have to purchase Sonicfire as I was able to use it in Prem Elements 10

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 5:15 AM   in reply to Brufy

You need to install Sonic Fire Pro (free) in order to open SmartSound, the music creation tool bundled with Premiere Elements.

As I say in my books, all you need to do is click the link that opens when you first try to launch SmartSound and they will send you a free serial number. Sonic Fire Pro will install as a free 30-day trial and SmartSound will install permanently.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 4:46 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Thanks for your prompt reply Steve, still had no joy activating in changing serial numbers and by folowing their instructions. Went to Sonicfire website and download the free Sonicfire Pro 5. installed it, and can now add tracks through SmartSound to my videos in Premier Elements 11

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 5:30 AM   in reply to Brufy

Glad you could find a solution, Brufy!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 8:09 AM   in reply to Brufy

Brufy wrote:

Using Prem. Elements 11, I go to Smart Sound to add music to my video. Select the music track. Select to add to my video but I am then sent to Sonicfire Website. Please advise if I have to purchase Sonicfire as I was able to use it in Prem Elements 10

There is an alternative technique to using Smart Sound. 

Your question suggests you are using a music track already on your computer.  If so, you can use "Add Media" to put the music clip in the "Project Assets".  Then you can drag the music clip to the time line the same way you do with a video clip. 

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to whsprague

Yes, Bill, but will this produce custom-created, royalty-free audio tracks at the exact specs and duration you need?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 9:36 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

My complaint came with PrE9 were I felt tricked into installing SmartSound.  I am one of those that is very protective of my computer and don't like software I didn't choose.  I was expecting a variety of free music tracks and found only a few.  The second surprise was the price of the better tracks at SonicFire.  It may be better now. 

I did think it was pretty cool that it would custom build a track to an exact length.  Perhaps I'll take another look.

There seems to me a growing number of sites providing inexpensive or no-cost royalty free audio under creative commons licensing.  Even Vimeo is now doing it.  Periodically sites like videoblocks.com have "specials" where you can download tracks and save them for future use in a collection.

Some available clips are relatively short and intended to be replayed as needed to fill the timeline.

Exact duration is not necessarily a problem.  As an amateur, I can get it close enough with creative fades.  If I was a pro I might have to me more exact.  But, my clients would be paying for the audio at SonicFire!

One competitor to PrE11 comes with a fairly good music library.  I ended up not liking it as an editor, but as a registered owner, I can use that library in PrE projects.

For personal or family video that is not posted on YouTube or sold for profit, all the music I have purchased can be used.  Sometimes a favorite hit song improves the video. 

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 8:32 AM   in reply to whsprague

Bill,

I never really thought much about it, but as I came to know SmartSound a bazillion years ago, and instantly fell madly in love with it, I always wanted it on my machines.

Back then, SmartSound installed with the free QuickTracks plug-in (separate ones for each NLE), but they all functioned about the same (AVID/Pinnacle version did have an added "feature" back, over the Adobe versions). With about PrE 9, SmartSound went with the "stripped-down, free version of Sonicfire Pro 5, as the plug-in, and also included it with PrPro (CS 4 version?).

As I use Sonicfire Pro so much, I upgraded to the fairly inexpensive Scoring Edition, which, coupled with the SmartSound Multi-Track library, offers so very much more control. It was only available as a stand-alone version, until fairly recently.

Over the last decade, I have availed myself of many of the SmartSound "sales," and now have a library of about 150 SmartSound discs, many in the Multi-Track format.

I would not be without it.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points