Skip navigation
MHPBrugge
Currently Being Moderated

indesign CS5 crashes when opening files

Feb 1, 2013 2:54 AM

Tags: #indesign #crash_problems

Hello,

I recently deactivated a design premium CS3 with upgrade to CS5 on an older computer at work.

I reïnstalled it on a new laptop with SSD.

Whenever I open a file in Indesign I get a windows error message: indesign has stopped working , looking for a solution etc etc.

The funny thing is, when I click ok and immediately reopen the file , i can open it flawlessly, and other files open as well. (i open the files by doubleclicking them in their directories)

As soon as i exit indesign again, and try to reopen the file , i get the windows error message again. same story repeats over n over n over... it's annoying and hardly workable.

any advice?

Izzy

user support assistant at MH P

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 1, 2013 10:58 AM   in reply to MHPBrugge

How open are the user permissions? Power User or Administrator level?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 11:06 AM   in reply to MHPBrugge

I presume this is Windows, so no useful crash reports? On a wild guess, take a look at SING Removal

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 5:48 AM   in reply to MHPBrugge

Did you test at Power User, notwithstanding your policy?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 6:21 AM   in reply to MHPBrugge

There are lots of utilitarian moments in the Links Panel menu button flyout you might explore. Assuming your links are all in one folder, links can be all selected, and pointed at the new folder, that can be quick for one document.

Still, something is wrong with your install/and/or/networking. Also, you hint that you are operating the indesign document file across a network, and this often leads to broken links. I prefer to copy the project to the local disc, and edit the document locally. That can mean to copy the document AND its linked images to your local machine drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 6:29 AM   in reply to MHPBrugge

SING has nothing to do with your missing links, nor would permissions, as far as I know. Missing links indicates ID can't follow the path statement and locate the linked file.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points