Skip navigation
MarmaladePips
Currently Being Moderated

Files created in CS5 displaying incorrectly in CS4 illustrator

Feb 1, 2013 3:14 AM

Tags: #cs4 #file #illustrator #cs5 #issue #files #displaying #ai #incorrectly

I have two PC's one runs Illustrator CS4 and the other CS5.I created some logos in CS5, I made sureI had the same fonts on both my computers. I opened the files in CS4 ( different location) and the logo has been rearranged. It doesnt look like the original AI file created on CS5. The text isnt in the centre anymore the whole thing has moved from the placings of the original AI file.

I create a lot of AI files in one location on CS5, save them to my cloud and often need to work on the files in a different location, which means opening them in CS4.

What am I doing wrong? Is there an ability to save the AI files in a way that ensures the original AI file stays the same no matter if i open it on a version that's different ( from CS5 to CS4) ?

Am I doing anything wrong? It seems very odd that this is happening and isnt something i'd expect from Adobe software after saving in its prefered format of AI.

Thank you

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 1, 2013 4:15 AM   in reply to MarmaladePips

No, it's not expected. But, especially if you use effects, it does happen.

If you are not doing so, when saving, in the second save screen, save the file as an older version AI file (see below). This usually helps.

Saving.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 6:49 AM   in reply to MarmaladePips

When you manage to open a CS5 file in CS4, what you are actually seeing is the PDF fork of that file. And that's just how PDF files are organized.

Your "workflow" is simply not too practical actually. But if you insist on opening newer files in CS4 then you will have to downsave them first.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 4:42 AM   in reply to MarmaladePips

Every version comes with new or revamped functionality, which not only affects your working process but also creates new types of objects the older versions simply do not know of. So you need to convert that into stuff that's usable by older versions while still keeping maximum editability (i.e. keeping objects editable that are compatible to older version).

That's not just some text like in Word.

So if you find yourself moving from one version to another regularly you should start thinking about your workflow.

And no: EPS won't make it better, since the last time it's been updated was in 1999.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 5:06 AM   in reply to MarmaladePips

When your files are so simple, maybe a idea to work on both systems with the same version off CS. And if you don't want to upgrade the system with CS4 to CS5 you can maybe down grade the system with CS5 to CS4.

This way you wont have any problems with your files.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points