Skip navigation
natsraine
Currently Being Moderated

How to print one design over multiple pages?

Feb 1, 2013 5:05 AM

Tags: #pages #print_multiple

Hi there!

I work on Mac and would like to print a design over multiple pages.  The recurring problem however is that the printed sheets have a thin unprinted, blank border.  I've tried various options in the print dialogue box, including all the borderless page setup options.  This 2mm border keeps appearing in my prints.  This is for silkscreening, so even though its only a 2mm border, this gap prevents me from putting all the printed sheets together as one design. The design, via the print dialogue box, is being saved as a PostScript file due to doing colour separations.  Hope this is making sense?  Please please help!

Nats

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 1, 2013 5:49 AM   in reply to natsraine

The recurring problem however is that the printed sheets have a thin unprinted, blank border...This 2mm border keeps appearing in my prints.

This is subject to the capabilities of your printer. There's nothing you can do in Illustrator to change the hardware capabilities of your printer.

This is for silkscreening, so even though its only a 2mm border, this gap prevents me from putting all the printed sheets together as one design.

Are you actually planning on abutting edges of printed pages in order to make a single positive for exposing a single silkscreen?

Even if your printer did print all the way off of the edge of its paper, you'd still have to deal with the exposure light that is going to shine between the abutting sheets.

If you don't see that as a problem, then why don't you just trim the 2mm printable area off the sheets?

Hope this is making sense?

Not really.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 6:33 AM   in reply to natsraine

i don't understand who corel would solve a printer issue. is the printer supposed to be able to print edge-to-edge A3?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 6:38 AM   in reply to natsraine

If you have InDesign, place your Illustrator file into an InDesign file, and print it tiled from InDesign.

InDesign does its tiles with overlap you are talking about, and with internal registration marks to help with lining up the sheet. I've often wished that Illustrator had the same system; I often have to place Illustrator-created dielines into InDesign just to get a useful tiled output.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 9:01 AM   in reply to natsraine

The other option is to set multiple artboards in AI with the proper overlap and then print from there.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 6:11 PM   in reply to natsraine

So 1cm or 2mm of the design ends up being missing.

That's what tile printing and its overlap setting is for. Look it up in the Help file.

JET

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points