Skip navigation
Don22303
Currently Being Moderated

Editing a color image to print well in both color and b&w printing?

Feb 1, 2013 5:07 AM

How do I edit a color image to print well in both color and b&w printing?

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 1, 2013 5:22 AM   in reply to Don22303

Enhance >> convert to Black & white

Make sure you save it under a different file name so asw not to overwrite your original.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 1, 2013 5:44 AM   in reply to Don22303

Don22303 wrote:

How do I edit a color image to print well in both color and b&w printing?

If you want to produce a single file that different users will display or print in either color or black and white, I would suggest :

- have an adjustment layer to preview your edits : a hue/sat adjustment layer or better a gradient map layer with the standard black to white gradient. You can switch the visibility on/off to check your edits.

- The edits you can do should be targeted at improving the look of the black and white display. Drastic changes in color are not possible. So, you have to work on tones, not colours. For instance, you could add a layer copy and work on the shadow/highlight adjustments, or increase local contrast with the 'unsharp mask' at high radius, low strength (50,20)

You could add a curves or gradient map adjustment layer in luminosity mode to enhance the tones without too much effect on colours.

Another option would be to optimize a black and white version with the above ideas, especially the black and white conversion filter, then add that conversion as a layer in luminosity mode above your coloured version.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points