Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Toggle between line weights

Feb 1, 2013 6:42 AM

I'm primarily an illustrator user, but my office has several people with ISOdraw backgrounds. Part of our job is making line drawings with just a couple of different line weights, and apparently in ISOdraw you can set two line weights and quickly toggle between them while you're working somehow, and the lack of something similar in illustrator frustrates them. To make things easier for me i made a little graphic style library with the relevant line weights in it so i can click between them, which works fine for me, but in ISOdraw it's supposedly more intuitive somehow and they want to know if there is any way of doing something comparable, but I'm at a loss as to what else we could do. Maybe there's a keyboard shortcut for switching graphic styles, or some other shortcut i never noticed? Anyone have any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 1, 2013 7:00 AM   in reply to dougofakkad

The way I have usually done this is to make a sort of palette with the desired line weights (and colours).

Then you can use the Eye Dropper tool (hit I) to pick up the weight you want.

Your graphic style library method is good too and probably just about as quick but I think there is no way to toggle between weights except with the default line weights in the Stroke panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 10:05 AM   in reply to dougofakkad

Applying graphic styles can be part of recorded Illustrator actions to which you can assign keyboard shortcuts.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 10:40 AM   in reply to dougofakkad

another way...

1. draw you different size lines and put them away out of sight if you want

2. add a note to each i.e. "1pt", "4pt", etc (without the quotes)

3. record an action that selects one of your lines i.e. "1pt"

4. give it a shortcut key i.e. F2

5. repeat for the other lines, assigning different shortcuts, F3, F4...

6. that's it, press F2, F3 etc to change line sizes as you draw.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points