Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to show a path to the topic name in browser address bar?

Feb 1, 2013 8:46 AM

My employer has an online help system. Currently, the same URL shows in the browser's address bar no matter which topic you have selected in the help system. For example, the URL for the help system is:

http://www.helpsystem.com/help/welcome_to_help.htm

No matter where I am in the help system, that URL always shows up. If I need to refer someone else to a certain topic, I can't just send them a link. I have to tell the person where to drill down to it from the Table of Contents. I'd like to refer someone to a specific section, for example,

http://www.helpsystem.com/help/welcome_to_help.htm/projects

The person who created the help system said that RH centralizes the webskin in that address, which is also the starting topic. Calling the URL launches the webskin and TOC. He said that you can only make direct calls to a topic if you're willing to do this without a skin and TOC. Is this true? We have RH8. Does RH10 have more capabilities? Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 1, 2013 10:39 AM   in reply to dmagnum74

Maybe something at http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm#email will help.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 8:53 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge

dmagnum74,

This is a good question. There is a lot of good information at Peter's site, but  I cannot find anything that specifically addresses this. Was anyone more successful than me? Thanks.

nankinnankin

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to nankinnankin

The address bar will always show the first URL used. It is the way tripane webhelp works regardless of the authoring tool used.

If you want the address bar to change I the new HTML5 layout layout in Rh10 would give you that. It does not use frames.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 1:27 AM   in reply to nankinnankin

Hi,

As Peter says, this is the way WebHelp works because the topic is loaded in a frame. However, what do you want to accomplish with this? There are ways of retrieving the topic URL, but what problem do you want to solve?

Greet,

Willam

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 12:31 PM   in reply to Willam van Weelden

William,

I want to be able to send a user a link to a specific topic so they can click that link and open the topic right up. I do not like the alternative where I have to give the user instructions on where to drill down in the help system to get the answer they are looking for.

nankinnankin

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 12:39 PM   in reply to nankinnankin

The options here should help you. http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm#email

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 8:13 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your response. There is a lot of really good information on this page. I am looking at the Navigation Pane section. None of those really seem to fit this situation.  In your February 15th message, you seemed to indicate that I would need RH10 with HTML5 to send a user a direct link to a help topic. I only have RH9. Am I out of luck? Thanks for any further help you can provide.

nankinnankin

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 8:35 AM   in reply to nankinnankin

Check the e-mail link methods. They should be exactly what you need.

Greet,

Willam

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 12:58 AM   in reply to nankinnankin

Rh9 does not create HTML5 help which is what you need so sorry but yes you are out of luck as far as that solution is concerned.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 7:12 AM   in reply to dmagnum74

Donna

I already covered that Rh10 will give you that ability in post 3 in this thread. Your developers will have to change help calls so liaise with them first.

The methods that Willam has pointed to on my site are what people have posted over time. Whether or not they are technically the best scripts doesn't really matter. All that matters is "do they work?" If your requirement is for something not covered there, then specify the problem and then someone may be able to help.

@Willam If you know of any other methods, please do post them here.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 12:58 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge

There may be a little confusion here: The methods on Peter's site work. When creating your output, create a mail link in the topics or the toolbar and use those to send a link to your users. You users can click the link and open the correct topic directly.

Greet,

Willam

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to dmagnum74

See Snippets on my site.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)