Skip navigation
larrychartier
Currently Being Moderated

Issues placing Ai Graphic in InDesign & Photoshop

Feb 1, 2013 2:10 PM

Tags: #illustrator #stylize #flatten_transparency #placed_graphic

Hi All,

Having issues placing an Ai (eps) file in Photoshop and InDesign and retaining the original appearance. For some reason the graphic is inserting outlines arournd portions of the graphic, but only when placed. If I open in Ai and copy + paste into Photoshop it looks fine. Copy + paste into Id however does not...

I've discovered I can re-create this appearance in Ai by selecting the image and clicking 'Object > Flatten Transparency'.

I've instered a screen capture below to give you an idea of what I mean. I think it has something to do with some of the 'Stylize' effects I'm using. There is a subtle drop shadow and feathered gradient in the graphic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Top image is how it should look, Bottom is how it looks when placed in InDesign.

Screen Shot 2013-02-01 at 4.35.06 PM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 1, 2013 3:50 PM   in reply to larrychartier

As regards ID, how does the PDF look? Or a printout?

Mike

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2013 8:29 AM   in reply to larrychartier

OK, Larry. I can recreate the issue. Would have been quicker with a sample file <g>.

In ID when using place, I do not get the problem. It only occurs here if I use copy and paste--something I cannot recall ever using in ID except for helping people.

The reason I asked about the PDF or a printout is I thought the issue was a stictching issue. And it is. In the PDF, the lines show but if you zoom in you will notice the lines never get wider. As well, whether printing from ID or from a PDF, the lines are not there.

The stitching lines are a result of the drop shadow on the letters. This causes a portion of the image to be a bitmap.

The top is the placed AI file in ID. Bottom is the copy & paste.

stitching_artifacts.png

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points