Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why doesn't FLV files show up on iPhones, iPads, etc.?

Feb 1, 2013 2:34 PM

They show up in all browsers, but not iPhones, etc. Is there a Flash file that I can use in browsers that will show in all Phones, Pads etc.? I use the FLV player in all the Dreamweaver CS4 web sites I design. I need the same media player that will work on web pages and devices. I appreciate any info at all. I'm on a iMac using 10.6.8. Thanks for any help.

Replies
  • kglad
    72,212 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 1, 2013 3:12 PM   in reply to dbthumb

those device browsers don't have flash players.

use javascript/html 5 to make content for iStuff.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 1, 2013 3:59 PM   in reply to dbthumb

Apple refuses to allow Flash Player on their device. Adobe AIR actually compiles the .swf into native code when deploying applications to that device.

Also, I am pretty sure even on Android the Flash Player is being retired because if you update to certain Android versions you are warned that you will no longer be able to install Flash Player. I think Adobe is moving 100% to Adobe AIR on mobile. Maybe in the future it will be able to play .swf files without a plugin? But for now, I am not sure there is a way to view a Flash file on all devices.

I just don't think you are going to be able to do what you are trying to do but I would love to be proved wrong.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2013 10:10 AM   in reply to Nabren

HTML5 is not an approved standard, it's not always the answer unfortunately. If the OPs whole site is HTML4/XHTML/XML/etc, recoding the entire site just to play video may not be feasible. Not to mention limited support for HTML5 in older HTML editing products.

You're using the built-in component in Dreamweaver so you should consider something like Flowplayer which supports MP4 so your videos will appear on iOS devices as well as support fallback to FLV. It's a free component-like video player for sites that you can customize. You can find Flowplayer here: http://flowplayer.org/

If you're willing to make the site HTML5 then here's how easy it is to add a HTML5 video to the site:

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_video.asp

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points