Skip navigation
haylz74
Currently Being Moderated

Having trouble with fill and text editing on an excel imported bar graph

Feb 1, 2013 3:24 PM

Tags: #illustrator #cs5 #mac

Hi all -

I am trying to modify a bar graph that I have imported as a pdf from excel, and am having some trouble with customizing the color fill on the bars of the bar graph.  When I select the object/bar and then fill with a different color, I see no change.  However the menu shows the new color I selected for that particular object.  Is there something weird about the type of object that the bar is when it is imported from excel?

OK I figured out that for some reason the bars on the bar graph are imported as clipping masks - very weird, you need to release the clipping mask, deselect the bar, select and delete the background shading, then fill the bar (which was previously the mask, I believe?) 

Anybody know why excel exports like this?  kind of annoying but I can't think of a way around this? 

I notice something similar with the imported text labels associated with the same graph.  When I select the text and change the font size, for some strange reason it can size up (say, from 10pt to 12pt) but not down (day, from 10pt to 8pt)  It seems weird when I try to edit it at all really, as if the element was not a text element, is there some way to convert it to a text object? 

ok this is working properly now, don't know why it was wonky before. 

Any insight on this would be much appreciated, I am new to Illustrator and need all the help I can get! 

I am using CS5 with a Mac running 10.7.5

Also I am using excel for mac 2011

Message was edited by: haylz74

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2013 1:11 PM   in reply to haylz74

Pardon me, you may now think I'm a stickler. But I refuse to respond to illegible requests like this one …

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2013 2:29 PM   in reply to haylz74

Agree with Kurt. What is it you are asking about exactly?

If you are trying to import a graph from Excel you are skating on dangerous ice.

Illie has her own (admittedly antiquated) way of making graphs and you would do far better doing the thing from scratch than by trying to edit Microsoft stuff.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points