Skip navigation
lowend2047
Currently Being Moderated

What sequence to choose?

Feb 1, 2013 7:22 PM

I am not a newbie to video editing, but I am no pro either! I have taken on a pretty big task of making a family documentry. I have every video and picture from my family's past, and video I just recently shot. The orginal video was recorded on 8MM tape, vhs, HI8, SD, HD60i, iPhone, iPad2. The iPhone and iPad I used an app called Filmic Pro, which was recorded in 30p). I already have everything converted professionally to a digital format on a hard drive. I don't really know what to do here. I don't know what sequence to choose, or if I should work in progressive or interlaced.

Any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 1, 2013 7:43 PM   in reply to lowend2047

You need to take a look at all your various media assets ( movie clips only) and get a feel for what the codecs are and the  various resolutions. ( pixel x pixel dimensions)

eg 1080p, 720p, DV etc...

I would advise creating a sequence that matches the lowest resolution asset.

That means you scale your highest rez assets down to fit. ( easy and can be automated).

Make a little list of what you have got , post it here and some one will advise.

What was the profesionally digitised media done as? ( ie file type , size)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 7:57 PM   in reply to lowend2047

Once you "generally" figure out how you want to edit (lots of good advice just above) you let PPro help you... per instructions below

Please NOTE that the PPro CS6 screen may look a bit different (I use CS5)

For CS5 and later, the easy way to insure that your video and your project match

See 2nd post for picture of NEW ITEM process http://forums.adobe.com/thread/872666

-and a FAQ on sequence setting http://forums.adobe.com/message/3804341

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2013 8:44 PM   in reply to lowend2047

I would recommend the DV 48kHz Standard sequence.  It'll probably offer you the best 'common ground' for such a mixed bag of media.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2013 8:51 AM   in reply to lowend2047

You may also want to visit the tutorial list in message #3 http://forums.adobe.com/message/2276578

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2013 8:46 PM   in reply to lowend2047

widescreen. Is that a bad idea?

Not really.  It's more of a personal preference.  You have both square and widescreen media here, so some decisions need to be made.  If you edit in Widescreen, then the 4:3 stuff will have bars on the sides.  If you edit in Standard, then the widescreen stuff will either have bars on top and bottom or have it's sides cropped off.

You choose.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points