Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Exif and gps-data in xmp-file overwritten, sometimes

Feb 2, 2013 6:39 AM

Tags: #gps #lr4 #4.3

I have a problem where LR4 on import seems to rewrite the xmp-files, and in that process data is lost, notably GPS-data, is lost.

My workflow:

Create xmp-file with Exiftool from CR2-files (sets copyright etc)

Geocode with Geosetter

Color labels with Photo Mechanic

Import to LR4

After import geo data is gone for around 30% of the files. It seems like files that have recieved a color label by PM is not affected, and many files without color label are correctly imported.

I never loose any data before importing to LR4.

Anyone have any suggestions about what could be going on?

I use a Canon 7D, Exiftool and Geosetter are updated to latest versions, LR version is 4.3.

I couldn't find how to attach files, but if anyone is interested in seeing how the xmp looks before and after LR4 import, I could copy-paste the code in an answer.

Best regards,

/Pär

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2013 7:13 AM   in reply to Pelle9999

If you tell Geosetter to put the GPS data in the exif data in the RAW file then there should be no problems.  Maybe using all these different pices of software to add to the xmp files is confusing Lightroom.  Can't you do it all in Lightroom?

Personally I geotag my RAW files with Exiftool directly or add geo data in Lightroom.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2013 8:55 AM   in reply to Pelle9999

Hi Pär,

Do I understand correctly that you have an xmp-sidecar present to your CR2-raws, when importing into Lightroom?

Then LR should read it during import.

Maybe the format standards are not clear, maybe Geosetter does not write the xmp-parts where LR expects the data?

But to save your original xmps: change your catalog preference settings, to NOT automatically write xmp to files.

Then you will have time, because then LR just reads the xmps on import, but does not write anything, unless you invoke it by selecting images and hitting <ctrl> s.

Which you would only do once you have assured that everything from your original xmp has arrived in LR's catalog.

Maybe it does not work reading that just during import, but possibly on a 2nd read after?

You could check, once you have disabled auto-xmp-writing, by invoking another explicit Read Metadata from File.

...just a wild guess, to rule out a potential bug there...

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2013 11:05 AM   in reply to Pelle9999

Hi Pär,

you do the 2nd read in Library Module, Menu Metadata - Read Metadata from File.

Pelle9999 wrote:

... reads the xmp-files during import, and writes back to the xmp-files as a part of the import process, ...

This what I do not get: LR does not write back xmp as part of the import process. It does so only if you still have the catalog preference settings to "Automatically write changes into xmp", but not as part of the import process, but as a result of it.

Which is why I suggest to untick this check before you do your next import of Geosetter-created xmp-sidecar-attended raw files.

I do not assume that ExifTool and/or Geosetter could work buggy, but xmp is not fully standardized, hence I am not too sure if LR is supposed to read Geosetter-tagged xmps in the same as it would write out its own xmp, if Map module would be filled with geotagging data as source.

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points