Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

64 bit Image format Package ?

Feb 2, 2013 8:02 AM

Is there any other image format capable of supporting multiple alpha channels ?

(24bit color + 8bit + 8bit +8bit +8bit) atleast up to 64 bit ?

TIF can only do 32bit, PNG can only do 32 and OpenEXR can do up to 32bit float, and as far as I'm aware only 32bit equal to PNG and TIF.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to StrongBeaver

Float math works completely differently and translates to at least 2^96 in most cases, if it were to be expressed as integer math. And you're throwing a lot of different things together. There is no such thing as a generalized "32bit TIF". TIFFs support float math just as well (32bit per channel, bpc) and have been forever supporting 16bpc and 8bpc. Likewise, TIFFs can have just as many arbitrary extra channels as PSDs or EXRs - they just may remain inaccessible in other programs, which, I believe is your actual point of concern. If that is the case, then the answer won't make you happy - outside dedicated image processing or 3D rendering programs I'm not aware that e.g. any simple image viwer would actualyl display these channels or allow you to work with them. So more or less, it's a moot point. If you want to exchange data with otehrs, give them native PSDs, otehrwise convert everything top separate files with just one "Alpha" channel.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to StrongBeaver

PNG can store 4 channels (RBGA) of up to 16 bits per channel => max 64 bits per pixel. It won't store multiple alpha channels, though. No use to you.

OpenEXR is an extensible format but Photoshop has very limited support for it and will not save alpha channels to it. No use to you.

TIFF can store a great many channels and supports integer and floating-point values. Photoshop documents can be stored in TIFF, complete with all alpha channels and layers. Photoshop definitely can read and write your required "(24bit color + 8bit + 8bit +8bit +8bit) atleast up to 64 bit". TIFF should be your solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2013 8:43 AM   in reply to StrongBeaver

Yep, I see you added that while I was preparing my reply.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2013 9:25 AM   in reply to StrongBeaver

Cinema 4D R14 can read up to 4 alpha channels from TIFF and many more from PSD/PSB. What app are you using?

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2013 11:00 AM   in reply to StrongBeaver

Strongbeaver, if you do not answer conroy's question, how do you want an expert of that app to answer you?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points