Skip navigation
abihedderwick
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom won't recognise all my colour management profiles

Feb 2, 2013 10:14 AM

I can't get Lightroom to recognise all the colour profiles I have saved in the Library profile file. I have downloaded them from a printing service and Lightroom is only picking up a random 6 out of 13. I am trying to do this in the color management section by clicking on profile then other.  The problem is that only 6 profiles are showing in the choose profile dialogue box. I've tried closing Lightroom down and starting it again several times and also deleting the profiles and reinstating them. I have also recently deleted the preference file in the Library in case there are any general problems going on. Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2013 11:43 AM   in reply to abihedderwick

Lr cannot work with and does not display CMYK profiles.

And that means you also cannot softproof to CMYK profiles.

If you need to use CMYK profiles you have to do it in Photoshop CSxx.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jim Forbes
    161 posts
    Jun 3, 2012
    Feb 2, 2013 12:48 PM   in reply to abihedderwick

The Library module stores all previews in the AdobeRGB color space. These previews are also used when printing in draft mode. Unless you choose differently in the Soft Proofing panel, the Develop module displays photos in the ProPhotoRGB color space.

http://adobe.ly/WFSzgf

http://adobe.ly/WFSzNx

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2013 6:42 PM   in reply to web-weaver

I am having problems with prints from LR 3.6 to my R3000. The photos are JPG.  The printer prints (skin color in particular) with strong red tones. Even if I back off on saturation, prints look the same (red). Photoshop prints colors as expected (matching my monitor closely enough) for the same photo.  I set the printer driver so that LR manages color and I am using Epson paper with the appropriate profile selected. I assumed that LR would do the mapping to the printer color space. I just got the R3000 and I expect there is something I don't understand. Can you point me to resources that might help me figure this out?

Thanks in advance for your help.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2013 7:37 PM   in reply to Injun10

Are you using the same app(PS/LR)-manages-color setting and the same printer-paper profile in both PS and LR?   LR can’t use CMYK profiles if that is what you’re using with PS.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to abihedderwick

abihedderwick wrote:

As far as I'm aware, none of the ones I've downloaded are CMYK profiles -

Profile have to be downloaded and installed. And the installation has to be done in a certain folder, or Lr and other programs cannot find the profiles.

But if you can see the profile in Photoshop but not in Lr, then nothing is wrong with your installation, and the only conclusion left is that it's a CMYK profile.

In Windows color profiles have to be installed in this folder: C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 10:00 PM   in reply to ssprengel

I am using the profiles installed by the Epson installer when I installed the printer.  The profiles are listed in LR and I just click on the one for the printer paper I am using. Same profile in PS. The question is then are the profiles installed by Epson CMYK? I have watched a couple Youtube tutorials about printing from LR to the Epson R3000 which use the same profiles that I see when I print.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 8:10 AM   in reply to Injun10

Injun10,

If the profile is displayed (listed) in Lr it's not a CMYK profile.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 9:26 AM   in reply to web-weaver

Thanks. This is what I thought. I tried printing from LR on my laptop. The print matched my screen very well. In this case it was a different photo though--and a .NEF instead of a .JPG. I set up the same photo on my desktop machine (where I have the problem) and duplicated the print settings from the laptop. In the print preview I see the same redness in the skin tones so I am not going the waste the paper and ink to print it. Since PS prints OK on this machine it appears that somewhere in LR I have a problem. Or I am missing something somewhere. Any ideas on how to diagnose my problem or a possible fix?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 9:34 AM   in reply to Injun10

Which problem are you talking about?

And, is your monitor calibrated? Without a calibrated monitor talking of "redness" makes no sense. It could be the monitor that's too red. Without a calibrated monitor you never know what's what.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 9:44 AM   in reply to web-weaver

The monitor is calibrated. So is the laptop. The problem I am referring to is the redness in the print which occurs only in Lightroom when printing from my desktop machine. When I view the photo in the library or the develop module colors look accurate. Only when I view the print in the print preview window it appears red and that is what prints too. When I print from Photoshop I have no problem. The print matches the monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 11:43 AM   in reply to Injun10

A poster who understands much more about color management than I do - I think it was Jeff Schewe - said on this forum: "redness" or "magenta" is an indication of double color management, i.e. Lr manages colors and the printer manages colors. Check your settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 11:59 AM   in reply to web-weaver

web-weaver,

I keep checking settings thinking that I missed something. So far I can find nothing. For now, I will just work from the laptop. Maybe, as I use the printer more I will figure it out. Thanks for all your attention and help.

Injun10

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 12:24 PM   in reply to Injun10

I'm not familiar with the Epson printers but if I remember correctly you have to uncheck the box called "icm" in the printer dialog to switch color management by the printer off.

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,388 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Feb 4, 2013 12:41 PM   in reply to web-weaver

All the Epson profiles (on their web site or installed by their drivers) are RGB. They should be visisble in LR.

OP, what operating system are you running?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 3:06 PM   in reply to Andrew Rodney

Thanks for your reply. I am running Win 7 Pro. The laptop runs Win 7 Home Premium. I have read posts and fourms and I see that others have had a similar problem that apparently is solved by turning off color management in the printer and choosing the correct profile. I see profiles for the Epson paper that I have on both systems. I think I have set everything correctly for both systems and the color is correct when I print from Lightroom on the laptop. Since I can print correctly from LR on the laptop or from Photoshop I am going to move on.

Thanks again for your reply.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points