Skip navigation
IvanRisingStar
Currently Being Moderated

After Effects CS6 - mp4 file error

Feb 2, 2013 9:33 PM

Initially I struggled to get After Effects to import footage that was shot with a Sony F3 (mp4 codec)

I got it right eventually, don’t know how but it worked fine for more than a month.

This afternoon however it just refused to work and I get the standard error saying the file is damaged or unsupported.

I checked the forum but can’t seem to find a solution the problem. A couple of people suggested that the footage be converted to another format.

So I have 2 questions:

1. Is this a bug in CS6?

2. What other format can I convert the footage to without losing any quality that will play in After Effects.

Regards

IvanRisingStar

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2013 12:24 AM   in reply to IvanRisingStar

Have you installed any alternate media players or CoDec packs recently? If so, you may have busted up your CoDecs. Get rid of whatever you added and reinstall AE as well as Quicktime. Beyond that you would have to provide a lot more info to figure this out.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 1:54 AM   in reply to IvanRisingStar

Just asking. These issues are most commonly caused by such stuff... If it worked for a month, then something has chnaged that prevents it from working now... Do the files still open in Media Player or Quicktime?

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 3:47 AM   in reply to IvanRisingStar

Neither QT nor WMP being able to play the files would still indicate a CoDec issue or at least a graphics acceleration issue. Perhaps update/ un-update your graphics driver and check the hardware playback options in the QT system control panel and WMP's settings...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points