Skip navigation
SaraSira 17 posts
Jan 24, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Bridge CS6 too slow!

Feb 2, 2013 1:49 PM

Tags: #bridge_cs6

Hello everyone,

Bridge is a great piece of software. But why is it so incredibly slow!? I have a huge database of graphic files and want to be able to browse them quickly. The cache size is already set to 500.000 items. Is there any other way to speed up Bridge?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2013 3:06 PM   in reply to SaraSira

It's a bit of a vague question. Can you describe what you mean by "slow" more precisely? What exactly is slow, and what is not slow, and how slow is slow?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2013 4:59 PM   in reply to SaraSira

A fast processor helps.  What is your OS and RAM?  It is slow to build cache, but are you talking about durning or after this process?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 2:45 AM   in reply to SaraSira

This is a known problem but it seems nobody seems to have a satisfactory answer, cleaning the cache helps a bit....the app sucks the memory for no apparent reason, everything else grinds to a halt, people's with huge macs and memory have the same problem. Adobe get your xxxx together!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 2:52 AM   in reply to mogolter

mogolter wrote:

Adobe get your xxxx together!

Unfortunately, Adobe staff rarely visits here (or, if they do, they keep a very low profile).

It would be very helpful to all concerned if there was someone monitoring issues here, but I fear that Bridge is a very low priority for Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 3:42 AM   in reply to SaraSira

Bridge isn't very good at browsing folders or selections with large numbers of images. As you noted, the cache building slows it down.

There are several things you can do to speed things up.

1. Build the cache as a separate task, before browsing.

Select the root folder of your images, then click Tools > Cache > Build and Export Cache (don't tick any of the boxes). This will generate thumbnail and preview jpegs in the cache.

2. Make smaller selections.

Don't select more than a few hundred images at once. Keep images in a folder hierarchy by date, location, subject, etc. Make larger selections by using searches by filename, keyword, collections, etc.

3. Keep Bridge and Camera Raw up to date.

There have been annoying bugs in recent versions of Bridge and Camera Raw, regarding layered TIFFs and thumbnail generation. Personally, I have ditched Camera Raw 7.3 and gone back to 7.0 because of performance problems.

4. Prefer embedded thumbnails.

Theoretically, Bridge will use your cached thumbnails and previews (or it may just forget some of them again) if they are available, even if you select "Browse quickly by preferring embedded images" from the toolbar. Selecting this option seems to help with the constant desire to rebuild some of the *@#%$* cache, and should help get your system back to its idle state more quickly.

You will find that browsing is faster/smoother if you wait for your computer to catch up with Bridge's demands. I have found that smaller thumbnails scroll faster while Bridge is working in the background.

I've probably forgotten something, but that should help a bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 8:09 AM   in reply to Yammer

Building cache in CS6 is much slower than CS5.  Once the cache is built it works fine.  Not a fan of exporting cache to folders as now you have 2 caches to deal with.  But some think this speeds up browsing, but have never tested it myself.

Personally, if I am browsing folders where I have not built cache I use CS5 Bridge and PS CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2013 1:53 AM   in reply to SaraSira

Well, I found something just today which may help your problem. I am using two PC's in my (wireless) home network, one desktop and one notebook. Notebook is in my photo studio and its some folders are shared to view and to make some post production using Bridge and Photoshop which are in my desktop PC. Here is the point I noticed; if my notebook is turned off, then my Bridge and Photoshop on the desktop slow down dramatically. I believe that they always want to 'see' the shared folders on the notebook because Bridge and PS remain connected to them in the previous session before I turned the notebook off. When I turned the notebook on and wait a few minutes allowing the network to refresh itself to see the shared folders on the desktop again, the Bridge and PS work as fast as they should be.

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2013 9:27 AM   in reply to SaraSira

SaraSira wrote:

Yammer's tips helped me a bit. Storing the cache inside folders is a way to speed everything up a bit. But not the absolut solution.

My last hope is that Bridge CC will be improved and way faster. Let's see this month.

I wouldn't (didn't) recommend storing the cache in folders. That's only really useful for portable files (for CDR or flash RAM). You're just as well to apply a bit of good old fashioned hard disk defrag on the cache volume. I think what I suggested was building the cache in one action from the menu, and clearing the 100% and export boxes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to SaraSira

SaraSira wrote:

My last hope is that Bridge CC will be improved and way faster. Let's see this month.

Alas, I'm not hoping this, as I have no intention of playing ball with Adobe on this one. My copy of CS6 is only a year old, and I wanted cache handling to be sorted out a couple of years ago. I fail to see why customers should have to pay to get their software fixed. It was bad enough that people had to upgrade to CS6 to get the metadata error fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2013 11:00 PM   in reply to SaraSira

I quit Bridge and installed my very old (but extremely great) Ulead Photo Explorer 8.6 on my Win7 PC. Lightning fast folder browsing and much more useful features. Despite it was created before Win7, still much better than Bridge for my needs. Sad to say, neither the company nor program doesn't exist any longer.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 12, 2013 3:04 AM   in reply to Dibek

I'm not sure what you want to prove here

Instead of trying to find a reason why your version of Bridge on your system is so much slower then for other users (which I could understand you want to solve) you advise us (I am a Mac user btw, this is a mixed system forum) to install an old application for Windows? Does it have the same options as Bridge?

And what are in your eyes more useful features?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points