Skip navigation
FishArtist1200
Currently Being Moderated

Equivalent of Selective Color in Illustrator?

Feb 2, 2013 2:33 PM

Tags: #color #adjustments #selective

Greetings, I am fairly new to Illustrator CS4 although I'd say I'm pretty proficient in Photoshop CS4.  I have imported a painting from Photoshop to Illustrator and have vectorized it using Live Trace.

What I want to do is take my painting, vectorize it into 4 colors and then adjust those 4 colors individually.

a.  Is there somewhere where I can see the 4 colors that make up the image once I have completed the Live Trace?  Can I change these individually?  Does it have to do with the Output to Swatches checkbox that is under the Max # Colors input box-- I checked this box, but then where are those swatches output to and how are they named?

b.  I use Selective Color all the time in Ps-- I love the control one has over specific colors rather than changing the whole deal like in the Hue Adjustment-- is there an equivalent tool in Ai to Ps' Selective Color?

c.  When I am doing the Live Trace, under Tracing Options I am using Palette: Automatic.  When I load a swatch library such as Earthtones and try to do the trace the whole sceen turns black.  Can I make a pallette of say hot pink, turquoise, and chartreause and force the Live Trace function to create a vectorized image using these 3 colors even though the source image is a bland greyish brown shark?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2013 3:07 PM   in reply to FishArtist1200

a. Does it have to do with the Output to Swatches checkbox that is under the Max # Colors input box

yes. You can find them in the Swatches panel.

b.  I use Selective Color all the time in Ps-- I love the control one has over specific colors rather than changing the whole deal like in the Hue Adjustment-- is there an equivalent tool in Ai to Ps' Selective Color?

Try Edit > Edit colors > Color balance

or: Edit > Edit colors > Recolor Art

c.  Can I make a pallette of say hot pink, turquoise, and chartreause and force the Live Trace function to create a vectorized image using these 3 colors even though the source image is a bland greyish brown shark?

Create a swatch library and load it. Then it should appear in the trace dialog box for you to choose from.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points