Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere project size-major bug

Feb 2, 2013 4:01 PM

Tags: #premiere #bug #file_size #bloating

This is the second MAJOR issue I have had with potentially wonderful creative suite this week. This makes me doubt my move from FCP.

I have noted that back in 2012 there were threads about project bloating. Well, my very importatnt project is now leapt up to over 6 gig in size-looking back at the history in file size. It went from a humble sub-200mb to 1.7Gig to over 6 gig.

My colleague convinced me to move from FCP to Adobe. I had HUGE issues with Encore this week(still not resolved) pretty lame support & now this. I have been religiously saving projects(and auto saving)but my days work seems LOST as my projects and auto saves are too big. I have a BRAND NEW macbook with max ram. Very fast.

I have now wasted several hours and got nowhere.

I guess work around might be to try to load sequence from bloated project into older project.

Can think of better ways to spend my saturday evenings.

My partner is next door working on a major documentary(over 1 hour long.) My project sequences are 10 minutes long. She is working on a 4 year old macbook with 4 gig ram and the project is fine. I am stuffed with the latest macbook pro. 64 bit with a 64 bit program. Difference is. She is still using FCP.

Please give me some good reasons why I shouldnt move back to a programme that was rock solid for me. Tell me this bloating is a one-off and it wont happen again.

I will start another post sometime about Encore issues that need addressing.

CS6

Macbook pro retina - 16 gig ram

Very tired now.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2013 4:08 PM   in reply to stretchdavea

Bloating is often caused by the use of warp stabilizer.  If you are using that effect, there are ways to deal with it. One is to wait until you get everything else done before you stabilize. Another is to stabilize first and then export to an editable codec, preferably lossless.

If you are not using warp stabilizer, perhaps you could share with us the kinds of media and other assets you have added to the project.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2013 4:45 PM   in reply to stretchdavea

Sorry, but there is something wrong with your workflow or I misunderstood.

What do you mean when you say you made a duplicate of the sequence? When I right click on  a sequence in the Project Panel (on a PC) and tell it I want to make a duplicate, it is virtually instantaneous. There is no importing.

Also, why make a duplicate? Sometimes people do that to have different views of the same project to show a client, but sometimes all you really need to do is nest the sequence into a new sequence and add your effects, if that is the purpose of making a duplicate.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2013 6:28 PM   in reply to stretchdavea

If you are willing to share your project with us to look into what is going wrong feel free to PM me

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 7:56 AM   in reply to stretchdavea

Aha! That's the issue.

You are using a a different word than any of us would use.

A sequence is a timeline. You can have multiple sequences in a project. What you are doing is duplicating the project. The actual file itself. Now I get it.

Ok, that makes sense.

If I were you I would open the project just before the size jumped and look around. Then open the one where it jumped and see what is different. There is probably an effect somewhere with a huge amount of keyframes.

-- Steven

http://www.stevengotz.com

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 1:29 PM   in reply to stretchdavea

Oh. So you are talking about sequences. Timelines are what measure out the sequence, or you can just use them pretty much interchangeably. You said you duplicated a sequence and I could not figure out how that would cause a problem. Then you said you have backup sequences - there is no way to back up just a sequence unless you import it into a new project and save it. Not to worry, I think we have focused in on it now.

I don't have any projects that large, so I am not sure what could cause it besides effects and keyframes. Audio keyframes could easily be the culprit. I can certainly make one that large. However, there has to be some difference between the small project and the large project. Dig deeper. Or, post a copy of the two projects where I can download them and I will compare them using a text tool.

The biggest project I have has Warp Stabilization on it but the ones with audio keyframes are big also.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 6:22 PM   in reply to stretchdavea

I understand. 6G downloads a lot faster than it uploads, but overnight will generally do the job. Zipping it up reduces the file size a bit. Maybe 20% or even more. It is worth trying it that way.

Before you do that, did you do any work with the audio mixer? If not, I am even more interested in seeing the file.

If you would not mind, please include the frame size, duration, and codec of the media you are editing so I can simulate it. I won't have the same picture on the monitor, but if when it asks me to find the files, if I have files of the approximate type, size and duration, it might be easier to detect the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 11:55 AM   in reply to stretchdavea

Dave, did you take Steve Hoeg up on his offer at post 4?

Anyone? Is this a variation of the issues from 2010? Or something else?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2869896#2869896

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 12:04 PM   in reply to stretchdavea

stretchdavea wrote:

Thanks. It does look like a similar issue - I spotted that a couple of days ago when I first had this come up. I have said I am happy for Steve to take this up-I messaged him, but he is probably busy.

Cheers

Dave

Steve is a busy guy, but I'm sure he will get back to you. Please have him look at your project. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 4:57 AM   in reply to stretchdavea

Please don't double-post.  I answered your other topic and deleted the duplicate posts in this one.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points