Skip navigation
TVPOA Chan3
Currently Being Moderated

File Locations with 2 Hard Drives

Feb 2, 2013 3:28 PM

Tags: #elements #11

I have read the recommendations to set Elements up with 2 hard drives. Now I would like to have specific locations for drives C & D.

I am planning to have the Elements software on C and ouput encoded mpg files to D.

Is it best to keep all the project files on C also? If the project files are on C, it seems that any Captured files would by default end up on the C drive. Is that Ok, even tho they would be generated files, and hence might seem better on D?

Would it be best to keep reusable Titles,  picture, and audio files also on C?

Thanks for any input!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2013 7:32 PM   in reply to TVPOA Chan3

Considering on the workflow and throughput, I would look into this:

C:\ OS, programs and probably Windows Virtual Memory Page File

D:\ Projects, Assets, Scratch Disks and then Export files

The ideal is to spread the I/O load over the available HDD's, as much, as is possible.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 6, 2013 8:02 AM   in reply to TVPOA Chan3

I have read the same thing about Win7, being better. I am still running XP-Pro SP3 on my two main machines, so have not explored the Virtual Memory/Page File settings in Win7.

Also, with a 64-bit OS, and plenty of installed RAM, the Page File becomes less important, than with a 32-bit OS.

When all computers (mine included), go to 64-bit, with a ton of RAM, we'll probably see few discussions on Page File sizes, and locations.

For me, my Page Files are on D:\, and were set up statically, at ~ 2.5x my installed RAM, and were created when those drives were clean.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points