Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

trying to make sense of div tags and css

Feb 2, 2013 5:37 PM

i know that i am a few years late here, but i am looking ot make the migration from using tables and switching over to div tags and css. i have watched a few tutorials on you tube and am trying to understand everything.

please tell me if this is correct.  a div tag is basically a table and css is what is used to style that div tag to meet your needs, is this a correct assumption??

if you go to my current site www.tankinz.com you can clearly see that the site is made up of tables, basically these boxes or tables contain a different item or package that a customer can click on and buy.  by using div tags and css would each of these boxes, or tables be their own div?

sorry for sounding a bit moronic but i am trying to make sense of all of this.

please help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2013 7:09 PM   in reply to thefortunecookieguy

Markup (html) contains elements, such as html, body, h1, h2, p, span, div and so forth. Hence a <div>-tag is part of an element; the other part being the </div>-tag.

The element structure of many web sites is basically (using HTML5 element names)

html

head

body

header

nav

aside

article

footer

These elements can be positioned and styled using style rules (css). Depending on the style rules, the above structure can take on many different styles, without ever touching the markup.

Have a look here for a simple two-column layout using the same structure as above http://www.456bereastreet.com/lab/developing_with_web_standards/csslay out/2-col/

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2013 8:43 PM   in reply to thefortunecookieguy

There are plenty of video tutorials, all you need to do is Google the subject. But none that I have come across that go at the same pace as the student.

This will probably help you more http://forums.adobe.com/thread/492638

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 5:54 AM   in reply to Ben Pleysier

I strongly recommend that you buy the following book`:

CSS: The Missing Manual

It is very well written and easy to follow.  This will give you a good grounding on how to use and apply CSS.

In addition to this book it might ve be helpful to buy a book called 'The CSS Anthology' by Rachel Andrew.  This contains all the code and explantion you need to create anything that looks like a table - such as a diary page etc.

Good luck!

Simon

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 10:18 AM   in reply to thefortunecookieguy

Hang in there. I have CS5 and altough I'm comfortable with html, I just didn't get the CSS side. I kept at it and although my sites don't use external CSS style sheets, they are functional nontheless. Just don't give up.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points