Skip navigation
Matt Enfield
Currently Being Moderated

DPI / PPI Problem

Feb 3, 2013 6:02 AM

Hi,

I am hoping that someone can help me.  I am a very novice user of illustrator, I only use it to design my own business leaflets/logo etc.

I am trying to upload a version of my logo to an accounting package website for use on invoices etc.  The website insists on a file with the folowing attributes: no larger than 930x310 pixels and it MUST be 300dpi.  The problem is that I cannot save the file in CS6 in DPI only in PPI.  I have exported a png and also a jpg at 930x286 pixels and at 72dpi but the website continues to reject the file as being the wrong resolution..... can anyone offer any help or advice please?

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2013 6:28 AM   in reply to Matt Enfield

Matt,

You can just File>Export and choose File Type (TIFF, JPEG, whatever) and set the resolution to 300 PPI,

PPI is what they mean.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to Matt Enfield

Illustrator is somewaht hardwired to the 72 ppi resolution. So you can only export  a raster format of the desired pixel dimensions and then and then change its resolution in an image editor.

Or you do the math. Setup the document dimensions in a way that will convert to the desired pixel size when you output it in 300 ppi. But that might always gibe you rounding errors.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to Matt Enfield

In Illustrator, set your artboard to the size the want.  In your case, it's 930x310px.  Apply a "holding line" to the artboard using the rectangle tool with no fill, no stroke and then lock it.  Upon export, set the res to high ( 300ppi ). If you do not apply the holding line to the parameters of the artboard, the artwork is automatically clipped to the artwork, not the artboard.  Try it and see what happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 8:27 AM   in reply to Matt Enfield

Matt,

Two things:

If they really mean that you need to keep the image at 930 pixels AND 300 PPI, you will have to scale it down to fit. 900 pixels correspond to 3 inches (900/300 = 3).

When going from 72 to 300 PPI, you should go from 930 to 3875 pixels, not 3879, so you may have a look to see whether your image is off the pixel grid.

Which exact requirements are you facing, if you can quote it here?

Edit: Hi Monika and John.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points