Converting .emf files to .png maintaining 300 dpi resolution

Feb 3, 2013 10:40 AM

Hi,

Can this be done? If so, how?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2013 11:25 AM   in reply to graph22

save (export or print) your .emf as .pdf -- open the .pdf in Photoshop, raster at desired resolution (ppi)

your original pixels will have to be at least the target dimensions/resolution or they will pick up pixelation, the vector/text objects should not be a problem retaining sharpness at any size

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 11:27 AM   in reply to gator soup

btw

if you are trying to get your .emf into InDesign for printing, try Placing the saved .pdf into Indesign and your printer should be able to print the vector vector sharp...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to gator soup

ps

i notice you want 300ppi

use Photoshop File> Save As (because Save for Web will likely output at 72ppi)

note that File> Save As .png embeds a ICC profile regardless of what the dialog says

if you don't want a profile embedded, you better check the saved .png ...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 1:01 PM   in reply to graph22

It's happening because PNG specifies resolution in pixels / meter, and stores it as a fixed point.  The conversion to and from meters to inches loses some precision when stored as a fixed point value.  (this is really a problem in many applications that read and write PNG)

In Photoshop CS6 I changed the PNG code to recognize "near" integer values and snap them to the nearest integer.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 2:05 PM   in reply to graph22

How do you change the PNG code?

Chris writes the actual Photoshop code (I believe) I don't think it's something we can do (if I understand your ? correctly).

Image> Image Size> Resolution: typing 300 over the 299.99 doesn't stick or does it throw your pixel dimensions off?

PDF opening in Photoshop with transparency? Is there a way around that?

Layers> Flatten

File> Save As

unchecking some of the Save options may have a similar effect on transparency, layers, ect

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points