Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

how to create a single action for adding a border and signature for portrait AND landscape images???

Feb 3, 2013 11:30 AM

Tags: #border #action #signature

i would love to be able to create a single photoshop action for adding a border, plus a signature in the bottom right corner, that works for both portrait and landscape images.

need i say more?!

i already have an action that adds a signature in the centre of the border at the bottom of the image e.g. the image below. what i want though is for that signature to be on the RHS and for the same action to work for portrait images as well.

DJ-003.jpg

supplementary info: reason for this is that I want to be able to export 300 wedding images (mix of landscape and portrait images) from lightroom in my pre-selected order (meaning the files are labelled from 001 to 300, ordered according to how the wedding day unfolded) and then use PS to add the border and the signature, in the same place, and for it to work for both orientations.

i need this to work for full sized exported jpeg images, i.e. i want the files that i give on CD to my clients to include my signature in this manner. so I don't want to copy the initial layer and then reduce the second layer size to leave a border around the second layer.

i hope i've been clear and that someone can help me here. I think that this sort of presentation makes such a difference to final printed image, and I DONT want to have to go to all 300 images picking out the landscape from portrait ones (although this may be what I have to do and wouldn't really take that long but surely there's a better way!!!!).

Thanks in advance photoshoppers ...

Replies
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 4, 2013 5:54 AM   in reply to ChrisRJ

It is actually quite easy to do if you have a good understanding of how Photoshop works.  To be able to handle any size Landscape and Portrait you need to scale the document to a known width or height.  Once the document is resized to the width or height it easy.  When yot resize the document you use Image size with resample NOT checked.  Not a single image pixels is changed all the happens is the documents DPI is set to the proper DPI resolution to print that size.  This lets you add a border sized for and document.  You can use Canvas Size check relative and  leatve the anchor point centered and set width and height to 2" this will add 1"on all sides. Use Canvas size a second time move the anchor point to the top center check relative and set height 1" the will add an additional 1" border on the bottom.  You then record a text layer with your Name title or what ever to the top left of the image. Select all ant the align the text layer to the selection to move it to the bottom right.

Adding a couple of scripts to the action you can make sure there is a background layer so the added canvas will be filled with pixels.  You can restore the document to its original DPI resolution to retain the images print size. Down load my crafting actions package it contains a dozen scripts to be used within actions. There are text file with tips and guidelines additionaly there is one on dealing with document size and includes a sample action set with a watermarking action the can watermark and size image. The Action set is also saved as a text file with additional comments I added my downloads can be found here http://mouseprints.net/Photoshop.html

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 22, 2013 8:40 AM   in reply to ChrisRJ

Photoshop ships with a Plug-in script name Fit Image.  You can record its use in an action.  The setting you use while recording the action in the plug-ins dialog is recorded by the script into you Action step and when played the step passes the setting to the plugin and the plug-in bypasses displaying its dialog.  So all you need do is record an action to resize your into to fit a size you record.

For example start recording your resize action. Start by recording menu File>Automate>Fit Image ... in the plug-ins dialog enter the pixel width and pixel height of the area you want the image to fit into.  The script will resize you document to fit into that area and  maintain the the documents aspect ratio. No border will be added. If you want borders on either the left and right sides or to top and bottom record menu Image canvas size set pixel width and height to add the two borders or change the anchor point so only a single border is added.  Then record Save for Web set jpeg convert to srgb and save into your web image folder.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2013 8:25 PM   in reply to ChrisRJ

I made my own actions, which you can tweak: Basically you use the "Fit Image" script as others have suggested, choosing the lonest side length and entering that into both the height and weight fields. Then you use the "canvas size" option and choose percentage increases. I just used 5% increase once and it gave me an even border around the whole image. You can download mine here. They're for typical print sizes and include sharpening.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points