Skip navigation
nataliejosephine
Currently Being Moderated

Can you have different setup settings on one document?

Feb 3, 2013 3:03 PM

Tags: #cs5 #publishing #indesign #document #print #setup

Hello.

I'm new to In-Design. (I own CS5) I used it back in college to make a double page spread but have only returned to it now at University. I have to create a book and submit it, in print ready format. I've tried things out for myself but some things just confuse me.

Basically, I've created a front and back cover with a spine on a document. I am wondering if I can work on the same document with my book pages and have my book pages set up with different margins? (for the inner sides)

I've been working on a seperate document for the book, but I'd like to have it all in one file to submit for the project. I'm also looking at getting the book sent to some publishers afterwards as I've been advised to. I'm just having troubles with general set up.

Also, this isn't in the title question, but if anyone can answer another, I'd be very grateful!

My story has to be 16 pages. With an inside front and back cover as well as the main book cover, that's a total of 20 pages and 6 sheets of paper, right?

When I put in the other 18 pages, Pages 1 and 18 are seperate (non facing) pages. How do I make them print together? I did a test print and they didn't print like a double page spread... or is it that when it comes to properly printing and binding a book, pages 1 and 18 will join together?

I'm terribly sorry for the newbish questions. I have tried researching a lot but still got confused and it's my first time learning about publishing anything other than a single piece of paper.

Thank you

Natalie

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2013 10:11 PM   in reply to nataliejosephine

Natalie,

You can create several master pages within one doc. There you can change the margins and lots of other things. Then you can apply these masters to your "normal" pages.

For the cover, I would advice to leave it apart, since you created a spine, but if your book is only going to be 20 pages the spine can be omitted. In this case, first page of your doc is the cover and the last page is the back.

It seems to me it's a saddle stiched booklet, so if "print ready" means imposed, you'll have to create a booklet. Make sure the complete book has 20 pages because if you print on both sides of the paper (let's say you made the doc on A4) the imposed booklet will be printed on A3 format (double A4).

gert

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 1:00 AM   in reply to nataliejosephine

You can print it in that way by clicking the "file" menu then choosing "Print Booklet". From the "Print Booklet" dialog box click on "Print Settings...", then from the "Printer" drop down list choose "Adobe PDF" if you want to view it on your computer or choose your installed printer if you want to print it. Notice that pages 3 and 18 will be facing in "Preview" instead of 1 and 18 since the cover and it's back are counted as pages.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 4:17 AM   in reply to Mohamed El-Beltagy

Note that printing direct to PDF requires that Acrobat Pro be installed so that you have distiller and the virtual printer, and is not available on Mac Snow Leopard or later. For those systems, see InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Acrobat’s Adobe PDF Printer Replaced in Snow Leopard

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points