Skip navigation
shery gemy
Currently Being Moderated

Animation project workflow regarding format & codecs

Feb 4, 2013 7:53 AM

Tags: #sequence #swf #mov #tga #compressed #uncompressed #50i #hd1080

Hi All,

working in animation project to be broadcasted on a TV channel as HD1080 50i,

1- all the animation layers was rendered from TOONBOOM as .SWF to keep it in vector for compositing issue.

• Dose SWF lose any quality? we always use TGA sequence with alpha in our past SD projects but now we found SWF is a smaller file size and allows zooming Because it keeps all vector lines.

2- compositing each scene in after effects cs6 and then render them.

• In the new composition settings Do I choose 25 frame rate or 50? The final master needed as HD1080 50i (interlaced) and all master layers was in 25fps.
  • What is the best format for output to deal with premiere cs6 as a real time playback ( my editing pc includes gtx680 4gb., many HGST 3tb with raid controller,64g ram, aja kona 3g) so do I go with TGA sequence (I think it will destroy the raid Because of the large number of small-sized files in read and write ) or MOV uncompressed (I'm afraid of the space size and don’t know it will play in real time ) or what is the best compressed format Maintaining video image quality as its now will be my only master source?

Many thanks,

sherif

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 4, 2013 8:11 AM   in reply to shery gemy
    • In the new composition settings Do I choose 25 frame rate or 50?

It's important to understand terminology on this one.  You should always and only list the frame rate, never the field rate.  It's unfortunate that camera makers so often violate that convention.

Following that, we see that there is no such thing as 1080i/50 or 50i, because that technically means 50 interlaced frames per second, and there just is no such animal.  The correct term is 25i, 25 interlaced frames.  So that is how you set up the sequence or composition.  1080i/25.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 5, 2013 12:24 PM   in reply to shery gemy

If you want to render a master from the timeline you need a master quality codec...

there arn't so much options for that...

forget most video codecs because you don't want compression artefacts in you master file...

forget about BMP, PNG, TIFF file list's because they are all 8Bit only...

The classic mastering format:

1. DPX filelist 10Bit RGB uncompressed - that is a good quality intermediate or mastering format that can be easily exchanged and archived

(currently DPX is the only 10Bit framelist file format that premiere supports - you can check out www.fnordware.com for the free DPX plugin that also supports 12 & 16 Bit DPX)

The medium quality solution:

2. Quicktime Prores HQ or DNXHD with about 200MBit/s is much smaller in filesize but only 4:2:2.

You can also go for 4:4:4 but check the workflow - some people have problems with Prores 4:4:4

--> 10Bit DPX plays nicely and in realtime on a dual drive SATA Raid-0 - with a 4 drive raid you are on the save side under all circumstances - so you can go for DPX even without big boxes...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points